[D4, LA, expecting] Time for serious drinking

Where the Deer clan and their visitors get their sake on
Matsu Ishioka

Re: [D4, LA, expecting] Time for serious drinking

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:43 pm

Narumi can feel the small tremor that runs through Ishioka at her touch, her hand sending a jolt of electricity through the Lion. She may notice there's no effort to move away from her though.

There's another heavy exhale but no real relaxation in the man. His eyes come back up to her, head still lowered. "This one," he said, low and breathy, "also hoped to hear more about you, Usogawa-san. How are you faring as one to be matched, rather than the matchmaker?" His voice gathered a modicum of composure as he offered what could be a step away from the intensity of the last moment. Though his eyes weren't any less piercing yet.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:57 pm

He didn't pull away.
He didn't pull away and Narumi weaves her fingers through his a moment before pulling her attention back from the sake room and glances at him, unsure of what to make of this development. Thrown for a complete loop.
Speechless as the wheels in her head ground to a halt.
"I... am overwhelmed, to be honest," she answered quickly, more truthfully than she would without sake, for sure. Especially with the Stone Lion, with whom she'd previously conversed with her internal walls built high. All business.
"I haven't been out on my own before. I haven't looked out for myself before. And I certainly haven't looked for what I wanted... um, before..." her dark eyes met his gaze questioningly. Trying to get a read on what he was thinking.
Last edited by Usogawa Narumi on Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:30 pm

Ishioka's eyes stay with hers for a long moment in silence. They have softened, though there's still a depth of energy she can see. Where earlier she had seen a wildfire on the verge of roaring out of control, now there is the controlled fire of a fireplace ready to comfort. Before he speaks he gives a small squeeze of her fingers with his, watching to see her reaction to that.

"I like honest," he says, calm and gentle. A touch of a kind smile starts to curl the corners of his mouth. "And I understand overwhelmed. Not just here, but... For other reasons too." He seems to be settling. No less energy in the eyes, but more understanding. Afraid? Oh yeah, I get that.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:00 am

She maintains his gaze and notes the calming of his intensity from inferno to hearth.
With the squeeze of his hand, colours blooms dramatically on the Otters cheeks and she isn't quite able to temper her grin in response before letting her gaze drop while her mind backpedals furiously. Trying to figure out how they got here.
It's an incredibly challenging task given the inebriated state she's in.
"I have serious doubts that one so stoic as yourself has ever been overwhelmed." She looked back at him and tried to settle her mask but it only resulted in her brow furrowing.
Her hand has not retreated, he'll note.

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:46 am

The Lions heart might be beating hard enough for Narumi to sense it through the touch of his hand, but his face is just a gentle smile and his eyes are still filled with warmth. He seems content, happy even, as they are. Even more than stoic he seems... unhurried, patient as she thinks about what she needs to.

"Some people say that bravery is not the absence of fear, but doing the right thing even in the presence of fear. I would say that to be stoic is not to never feel being overwhelmed, but holding steady even as you feel overwhelmed." He thinks for a moment, then gives a small chuckle. "But you don't want philosophy from me," he says with a small smirk. "Do you really want to know what overwhelms the Stone Matsu?" Ishioka says the nickname a little jokingly, but his overall tone suggests the story could be hard to listen to.
the available hand tops off their sake cups in preparation.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:05 am

"Like our riverboats," she had lowered her voice, feeling his heartbeat in his hand held gently, easily, in her own. "Designed to weather the storm. Refined, and without undue flair, but they do what's expected of them without compromise."
She couldn't tell if the simile was as clunky as it sounded in her head.
"We can save the philosophy for next time."
The fact he pours another two cups, plus his tone, draws the trouble-seeker called Narumi in. "Only if it doesn't cause you undo harm to share it."

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:28 pm

Ishioka's eyes narrow a little at the word choice. "Undue harm?" he asks rhetorically. "So some harm to me is acceptable?" He closes his eyes as he chuckles at his silly joke. His available hand rises to gently wave off any response. Just the easy version. She doesn't need to know it all.

"All around one can be overwhelming, as when I arrived to meet my little sister, Hachiko, at a restaurant in Kyuden Hida. She'd come to visit me after her gempukku -- a top prodigy in her class -- and I had gone to the embassy to attend some matter. Trivial now, of course," he says lightly, almost smiling as though the story doesn't pain him, but Narumi can feel the tension seeping into his hand and see it as his shoulders and neck start to tighten.

"I arrived to find her in the street, katana in hand, with a Dragon samurai-ko on one knee before her. The Dragon was bleeding horribly, most..." He pauses, stepping past a detail or two. "Whatever the matter had been, clearly Hachiko had won the duel. She said it was over and lowered her sword. Of course, I was concerned -- fighting in the streets is hardly honorable behavior -- but, then..." He has to stop and take a deep breath. "Then I saw the Dragon raise her katana and cut Hachiko down. Right--" he gestures vaguely, probably to indicate how close he'd been standing. "So close," he says softly, voice straining. "And that was my favorite sister. My parents' pride and joy. And she was gone, just like that." He fixes Narumi with his eyes, and right now there's no fire, just a swirl like a whirlpool in the ocean. "I know the world did not stop. I know I continued to function. And I know there were compliments. 'Only the Stone Matsu so composed as to manage that moment.' But overwhelmed? Oh yes. Still overwhelmed now. Overwhelmed that I'm here at least in part because she isn't?" He bows his head to signify that answer is yes also, and his head stays bowed a couple moments as he composes himself again before looking up.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:01 pm

She listens intently, watching his features closely, reading the small changes to his expression and his anguish is clear to her.
When he gets to the crux of his story, she takes his hand with her free one and gives a reassuring squeeze with both of hers, returning the one he'd given her. She holds onto him and doesn't let go.
His recounting over, she meets his gaze and reads the oceanic pain. She'd always been drawn to the water.
"I'm afraid anything I say, you've surely heard one thousands time, and it only falls flatter with each repetition. I can't say or do anything to lessen the pain you carry with the loss of your sister so suddenly. But know that I know your pain, Ishioka-san," she says with a lowered voice.
"It feels impossible to keep standing, yet alone standing tall, when we've been destroyed like that." She speaks with the deep understanding of one who's lost the best thing in their life, as well.
"I..." She falters, and starts again. "Thank you. For trusting me."

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:38 pm

Ishioka can feel the shared understanding - hear what's being said underneath the actual words - and he bows his head to Narumi in respect. "Yes. Thank you, Usogawa-san," he says, eyes adding "I hear you."

He looks toward her hands, now having enveloped his. It's as though he hadn't noticed the arrival of her second hand, and perhaps in that heavy moment he hadn't, despite the squeeze she'd given. For half a heartbeat, maybe it appears that he'll think better of this, as they are in a public place after all. But after he's thought about it, he brings his other hand to join hers. His eyes watch for her reaction as his large hand covers hers, and he gives a gentle little squeeze with forethought, not just reacting in the moment.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:20 pm

Narumi might not care about how things were going for her. She might've been wishing for the Lion to end her earlier during this encounter. She might have given up on herself and anything of value she could add to this miai, and resigned herself to her fate. So be it.

The last thing she wanted to do was drag Ishioka down with her.
She looks at him for a long moment, reads in his features what he doesn't say, and nods slowly, wordless in return. She lets the intimate expression sit for a long moment, before she lets go of his hands with both of hers, and smooths back a lock of hair from her features. Protecting him.
Heart racing in her chest and light-headed, but calmer than she'd felt in recent memory; she blamed the Lion, and that brought a smirk to her expression. The sitting cup of sake is lifted, and she takes more than a large sip.
"You're welcome." her lips pressed together for a beat, and finished the cup. When she looks back at him, her gaze silently makes it clear the ball is in his court.