(D3, MA) Hot sake in a storm

Where the Deer clan and their visitors get their sake on
Kuni Yasu

(D3, MA) Hot sake in a storm

Post by Kuni Yasu » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:48 am

(Expecting, but public bar and all)

Yasu's not really sure why anyone would finding drinking a bit in the afternoon to be odd. It's often a nice break before settling in for a long night in the lab. But it does mean there's not as much competition for the side booths as there is in the evenings.

Warm sake on a rainy day seems like a fine thing for the kind of conversation she's expecting. She asks for a couple plates of yaki onigiri as well, craving the salt and smoke comfort food, and expecting Ishioka'd appreciate it as well.
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly
Honor is the Ideal * Glory: Unremarkable Retainer * Status: 30 * CP: 16

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Matsu Ishioka

Re: (D3, MA) Hot sake in a storm

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:22 pm

The stoic Lion arrived looking as neutral as usual, though there was perhaps an extra touch of verve in his walk, if anyone looked extremely closely at him.

"Good afternoon, Kuni-san," he says, polite and level. His bow is quick, appropriate to a friend, but perhaps a little slower and deeper of a bow than she was used to. He sits opposite her, nods thankfully toward the food and drink, and then looks at her with an awkwardness in his eyes that seems very foreign to her. Before she can ask, he starts, awkwardly.

"I... apologize... for my comment at the play the other night," he says, clearly unsure about what he's doing. "I did not mean to... overstep... and certainly not to, uh, suggest my help is needed..."
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:08 pm

She waves the apology off. "Already forgiven, Matsu-san." Her smile softens. "A little overprotectiveness might be kind of expected, honestly." She couldn't recall exactly how old Hachiko'd been but they shared the trait 'younger than Ishioka.'

"Honestly, while I don't think it's in anyone's, or the Empire's, best interests for me to leave the Crab, the Deer could disagree and such questions become a lot less applicable." She offers a shrug that's a bit at odds with the depth of her discomfort at the idea. "Buuut...I doubt they're making that determination right this second, so I'm not going to worry about it too much."

Holding her sleeve back, she pours the sake, watching it steam from the cups. "Really nice kemari form this morning, by the way."
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:06 pm

The Lion nods along agreeably, then when kemari is mentioned he turns... embarrassed? It's a strangely evasive manner.

"It... Thank you, Kuni-san. I, ah... I don't expect it to last. The... strong performances, that is." Even for the Stone Matsu, it's a rather clipped response.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:45 pm

She watches him over the steaming cup as she drinks, frowning curiously. "Everything alright? You have some...feelings... about kemari?" Yasu grows quiet afterward, hoping that wasn't stepping into something painful. But then...that's what afternoon sake was for. Right?

Description

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:02 am

The Matsu takes a steadying breath, and it seems to put him at least mostly right.

"Just a bit anxious about doing too well in these early tests. I'm sure there will be things more challenging for a Matsu than 'tell us about your ancestors' and 'are you physically fit?' Starting strong and appearing to falter is not..." He seems to pull himself back from completing the thought. "I believe in patience and steadiness, and I hope to be consistently a strong contender here." The line sounds slightly rehearsed, but Yasu knows that is how Ishioka operates.
Description

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:46 am

The plate of grilled onigiri arrive as Yasu shakes her head with a smile. "I was just telling Usogawa-san that I'm pretty sure the Deer aren't sending anyone home empty-handed unless they're just awful. I think you'll be fine with that steadiness instead of fireworks in every competition." She scoots a hot onigiri to her her little plate, shaking the heat from her fingers after and leaving it a moment to cool.

"We can go browse the market for books if you want to brush up on any of the softer stuff. Want to bet they ask for some poetry? Not that I've got the funds to be wagering."

Description

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:09 am

The Lion makes a face, even snorts very faintly.

"They can ask all they want about it. My family's money isn't buying books about poetry, or origami or ikebana..." There's a bit of a huff from the man, but even with that he seems in a better mood.

"I need to remember that the Shika are masters of matchmaking. They have tried and true methods... My grandfather would say those are the kind of people worth trusting," he says with some animation, and then he follows Yasu's approach to the onigiri.
Description

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:36 am

"Don't need ta buy em, just look at them there." Yasu says. She holds up her cup, thinking for a moment.
A few words for you
Approaching your future fate
Beneath a Deer moon
The cup lifts a bit more before she tosses it back, and sets it down to fill again. "Your grandfather sounds pretty smart. What was he like?"

Description

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:55 pm

Ishioka smiles very faintly at the book "shopping" idea, and then smiles again at the request to talk about his grandfather.

"My grandfather, born Kaiu Odoma, was a great man. Very patient, though somewhat cross, and a great teacher for those willing to listen and work hard. I think some of my cousins, who spent more time with him, have become skilled weaponsmiths. I mostly learned the philosophy of trusting what you know will work, making small changes to make things better... Mostly to be patient, even when those around you are very excitable." The Stone Matsu's smile is modest, but clearly heartfelt.
Description