[D8, EA, Ishioka's room, expecting] A straightforward game

Lodgings for visitors and a hot springs bathhouse
Matsu Ishioka

[D8, EA, Ishioka's room, expecting] A straightforward game

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:34 pm

Ishioka's room took little effort to make immaculate as he made such little impact on it in the first place. As in any other, the futon (and extra cushions, obviously because the man is beyond average size) had been rolled out of the way, leaving a small table that was now centered in the room with cushions placed for the game players. He'd requested a second table just for now, so a pot of warm, calming tea could be right at hand but not crowd the board. Cups were right at hand so it could be poured anytime.

The Lion had made sure his ponytail was just a little smoother and tighter than usual. His copper colored kimono with the double golden Matsu mons was worn with care, and his daisho displayed just as he'd been taught, set carefully in its own corner with reverence.

With a centering breath, he surveyed one last time to be sure he was ready.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Moto Mitsuki

Re: [D8, EA, Ishioka's room, expecting] A straightforward game

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:20 pm

Mitsuki swanned in the room, fresh from the bath, wearing her classic casual attire, her clothes clean and her makeup bright new. She had brought absolutely nothing but her presence with her, that she made known with a proper bow:

"Greetings Matsu-sama. Was the day amendable to you so far?"

She kind of remembered him crushing a Otter two heads smaller in sumai, but had found no way to spin it into small talk that wouldn't sound like a backhanded compliment.
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:33 pm

"A fine day indeed, Moto-san," he says, smiling pleasantly and returning the bow. "And all the better to have time for a game with you finally. I have been remiss in staying in communication, which pains me and I apologize." Another bow to affirm his sincerity.

After a pause for her response: "Now, if you will join me..." He gestures to the table and the plain shogi set laid out for their use. If she's expecting some kind of Lion clan heirloom, it's sorely disappointing, but he makes no specific reference to it.

"There's tea as well, as I understand some players enjoy it during a game while others prefer not to have any disruption. I requested something calming, simply because there are... elevated emotions among miai participants at this point," he politely understates matters.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:16 pm

"No issue. These days have been busy in their unbusyness. One never has never as little free time that when they have no schedule to speak of."

She took a seat:

"Really? Some people seem nervous about being married under their status because they didn't keep the ball in the air long enough at kemari, or sung badly, of felt like they've failed one too many of the Deer little contests, but I didn't know the issues had crystallized to that degree."
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:49 pm

He nods appreciatively at her words.

"I think some are very anxious, others a little anxious, and the rest delude themselves with the notion that all will be well. Whether individuals have found a preferred pairing or not, there seems plenty of reason to be concerned."

The Matsu smiles politely as he ensures the pieces are set up properly.

"But clearly Moto-san is unconcerned, having faced much greater dangers than a nakodo in the desert, hm? I confess I am more anxious about matters than I had thought possible."
Description

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:52 pm

"I treat the current situation as the calm before the battle. We've prepared ourselves to the best of our abilities, logistics, training, strategy, and now there isn't much we can do to change the outcome before the fight actually starts. Just the right mix of rest, exercise and reconnaissance to remain at our peek form for the moment hostilities will finally begin. In that case, when the Deer finally starts suggesting candidates and conditions for our weddings.

So I would say more at peace with my own limitations than unconcerned."

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:29 am

"Respectfully, Moto-san, from what I have seen and have heard others say, I do not believe you experience limitations here. I don't mean to be glib, simply honest."
Description

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:06 am

"We all have limits Matsu-san. That mine – or yours – haven't shown up clearly until now do not mean they're not there, and that we shouldn't be aware of them.

To use a in-theme metaphor: Being three paws ahead means nothing if you lose your general on the next move."

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:29 pm

"Hai, Moto-san, you are right. Advantage without strategy is quickly lost." He makes another move on the board, perhaps an amateurish one. "Moto-san will quickly discover I have limited skill at shogi, and I apologize if you expected a challenging game from me. But I hoped to get a sense of your... feelings about the miai. If you have found a preferred match already, or if I might be helpful in connecting you with other potential matches." The Matsu realizes he sounds like some Crane courtier and sets aside some of the fluff.

"Apologies, Moto-san. I am attempting to be helpful to some miai participants who haven't enjoyed our early advantages, and I'm checking in with some of the candidates I view most favorably as part of that effort." Ishioka worries he may still not be communicating well with Mitsuki, as they haven't had that many interactions.
Description

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:41 pm

"I was under the idea it was the Deer that was supposed to arrange matches here, not ourselves. I've seen a few participants with potential, but did not bother soliciting their opinion on such an union directly, as to not interfere with our hosts' work. That I'm sure they're doing. Even in an extremely roundabout way."

Mitsuki wasn't a really good player either. The board was slowly morphing into a state of chaos only beginners can achieve.

"The whole point of coming to a Deer miai is to try to have a more objective third-party than a member of another great clan. Aren't you going full gallop against that concept with what you're doing?

Also, I hope you realize there couldn't be a more awkward timing for a Lion to try to play matchmaker with a Unicorn. Our very champion was less than pleased with the marriage your chief diplomat recently tried to push on her."