D5EE Dinner date (Narumi's, closed)

Lodgings for visitors and a hot springs bathhouse
Usogawa Narumi

Re: D5EE Dinner date (Narumi's, closed)

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:15 am

Narumi grinned ridiculously, and colour touched her cheeks as well. "Ah no, it's fine! I wasn't bothered at all. Um, carry on?" This was six different levels of awkward and she quickly stuffed a treat in her mouth to keep busy chewing.
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:21 am

"Hmmm, oh...uh. thanks.." There was a bit of a questioning, awkward tone as if unsure that this was something that a thank was even appropriate for. Yasu clears her throat a bit. "Any...way...it seems like there's a lot of having too many good choices to pick from. And knowing that the matchmakers are doing the deciding? A little rough on everyone."

"As to Matsu-san's too many choices...well, I'm not sure the matchmakers would pair him with a Dragon, out of consideration and all." She pauses, looking up with a bit of concern. "Not sure he's mention the recent bit of sorrow for his family."
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly
Honor is the Ideal * Glory: Unremarkable Retainer * Status: 30 * CP: 16

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:47 am

She'd never said the other samurai-ko was a Dragon.
That was on Yasu.
Hm.
"He did, we had drinks yesterday, and got to talking, it's so tragic," Narumi settled quietly for a moment, her mind reeling and racing as she began to figure things out.
"Hai. I've never had this much trouble keeping others at distance! It must be the magic the Deer infuse everywhere."

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:28 pm

It was indeed on her. Yasu would have been a rather chaotic rumormonger in a proper court.

"It is. Losing family like that. Something so stupid and sudden." There's some hint of anger in Yasu's tone. "Not the same family, but you can see how that might be an awkward match. Or maybe the Deer think it's perfect, giving the Lion a daughter from the Dragon for the one they stole." She sighs. "From my seat, he seems a lot more conflicted on that score than on an Otter match."

Plucking up a pickled bit of burdock in her chopsticks, Yasu nods. "I've never had to seriously size folks up as possible matches before either, but...from no ah..romantic interests to multiple and all. Something about this place, yeah."

"Been meaning to ask...you're training to do this and all. What do you think of all the little contests so far? Useful?"
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:32 pm

"Hai, wouldn't it be tragically romantic for the Shika to match them..." she had quickly considered this as well, and her brow furrowed at the thought.
"Oh! Not... particularly? A large event such as a miai, I've never been in attendance of anything like this before. My aunt and I, we're more 1-on-1... I could offer theories about why the Shika test what they do, but I wouldn't put any more credit to them as anyone else's guess, unfortunately. I might, hmm, I might ask for another meeting with Pei Pei-sama. Just to ask some questions, get to know more about their methods. For research, of course."

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:26 pm

Yasu sucks air through her teeth, "have to admit, tragically romantic isn't what I'd wish for him. But I guess there's a bit to see what pans out? He could use some good luck and kindness."

At Pei Pei's name, Yasu's expression grows a bit more guarded. "Shika-sama unnerves me, but...I can see doing talking with her, given your shared jobs."

"What sort of things would you tend to ask, or look at, I guess? When you're trying to help someone with a match?" Might be worthwhile to contrast that with Pei-Pei's approach.

Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:02 pm

"Hmm," Narumi took a moment to consider Yasu's question. "My role for the most part with my aunt's services, is assessing harmonious pedigrees. Which is why the first event here, I enjoyed very much. Looking into the ancestry of candidates, delving into their families past, looking for shared qualities or events of note, seeking out where their families' particular strengths lie and aligning them with like-minded potentials, or harmonious contrasts... That's what I really enjoy doing, personally. It's what I've been groomed to do, I suppose.
There are of course other considerations besides ancestry. Compatible level of education, income, occupation, physical attractiveness, religion, social standing, and hobbies. All important qualities to look for in a match."

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:04 pm

Yasu blinks a bit at the list. "Never really considered education and.." she shakes her head. "I suppose I'm glad the matchmakers are the ones looking into all that so I don't have to. I'm sure those you've paired up do too."

"Do you ever hear back? Learn that the match did really well, or --hopefully not often-- find that went poorly and everyone's unhappy?"

Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:30 pm

"Sometimes! When we make port in return... I've met a few babies from the arrangements, that's always my favourite part," Narumi gave a quiet smile, but it was tinged with a hint of sadness as well.

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:57 am

Yasu noticeably brightens. "Oh, that _would_ be the best part. You can only hear so many stories about how well they're doing together, but every baby's different and kind of endlessly interesting with everything still out in front of them." Oh! But are you going to the play tonight? I shouldn't ramble on too long if you are!

_______
OOC meet D7 or 8 for all the D6/7 gossip? :twisted:

Description