D5EE Dinner date (Narumi's, closed)

Lodgings for visitors and a hot springs bathhouse
Usogawa Narumi

Re: D5EE Dinner date (Narumi's, closed)

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:22 am

She shrugged, looking over the top of her cup.
"I hope so too!"
Yasu asks after specifics and the Otter rubs the back of her neck in an almost sheepish shrug. "Where my feelings for Asahina-san are like a sudden torrential downpour, what I find with Matsu Ishioka-san is more likened to a controlled burn of a forest fire."

But Narumi hasnt missed the array of cues Yasu has given off, either.
"You seem troubled." Her tone is inviting. "Do I need to have words with Tanabe-san?" She asks gently... given what she heard through the walls last night, she needed more information.
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:23 am

She brightens noticeably at Ishioka's name. "Matsu-san is solid, and less dour than he often seems to people at first glance. I got to know him last summer when visiting some Hida cousins." A bit more seriously. "He'll likely warn you, at some point--because he is a _little_ dour--that his parents probably won't approve much of an Otter bride. Do remind him that his parents put him in the Deer's hands and will have to deal with their choice."

At the same time, she worries a bit about her own choices, that seem almost the opposite of what Narumi describes. Should she have taken more time? Narumi's words snap her from that slight reverie, prompting a quick shake of her head and a flush that dots her throat while remaining invisible beneath the paint. "No, Tanabe's been...wonderful. Sweet. He's a sun to warm me when I need that desperately in years to come. I don't doubt we're making the right choice, even if the matchmakers disagree."

She sighs, plucking up one of the sesame balls. "But I... Kitsu Murato and I shared a moment?...a connection? Something solid enough that I don't doubt we'd be happy together, would grow into happiness in a very different kind of way. But I couldn't leave him hoping my heart wasn't set. I hurt him."
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly
Honor is the Ideal * Glory: Unremarkable Retainer * Status: 30 * CP: 16

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:04 pm

She blinked. "Oh! You know Matsu-san? Oh..." she blushed furiously and looked down at the table for a moment to regain her composure.
"Kitsu-san? I've met him a few times, he's never shown me anything but compassion and kindness. It must be difficult... I mean, I know it's difficult, to have your heart pulled in two directions. I don't envy you, despite how similar our situation appears on the surface, it's very different underneath, isn't it?
Your heart is clearly set on what it wants, and Tanabe-san returns the sentiment?" she nods for a moment, not really needing the confirmation. "You'd be happy to the end of your days with him. But Kitsu-san raises a hiccup in that assurance with your feelings for him? Both would make you happy, but your heart belongs to only one.
Whereas in my case... Neither path is so clear-cut. Both are filled with a dozen questions, nothing is certain." she stifles a conflicted laugh with the back of her hand, "Hm. I don't even know if Asahina-san realizes how enamoured I am with him. His spirit is so pure, I don't think it's crossed his mind, to be honest? It was actually Kitsu-san who suggested I be more direct with him... admittedly I haven't worked up the courage yet though."

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:07 pm

Even if she doesn't need the confirmation of Tanabe's feelings, Yasu nods with a small, pleased smile. "If anything, I'm...more assured of my feelings, on account of Kitsu-san. I had to examine them and...It just seemed wrong to deepen things with him only to tell him later that my heart had never really been free to do that." She looks up with a smile. "But yes, I'm pretty sure both would be a happy match. How lucky is that, right? Only a few days into the miai."

She rolls the dango between her fingers, contemplative. "I think...given that experience...maybe don't be too direct until you know your heart is free? Though just words...just laying out possibilities, is probably fine. It's a miai. Everyone is exploring and making lists. I just built too strong a connection too fast..that felt like making promises or commitments."
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:24 pm

Yasu's smile warmed Narumi's heart thoroughly, and she was surprised again how much she'd grown to value their friendship so quickly. "That pleases me to hear, to no end. You're incredibly lucky, and I'm happy for you."
She gives significant consideration for the Kuni's advice.
"Hai," she said with a serious tone. Any further desire to run head-first into indulging any passions toward other candidates had been tempered effectively given her recent infraction with the Tortoise and the resulting repercussions.
"I'm making an effort to let things develop as they will, however slowly that may be, and trusting the Shika to do what they do best," she pressed her lips together, before finishing her tea and moving onto some light rice noodles. "I just... I want to at least let Asahina-san know what I'm feeling for him, without any pressure for him to reciprocate. But hoping he does."

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:18 pm

Yasu nods, enjoying the Otter's company and, between her and Tanabe, easily seeing how the clan gets a reputation for friendliness. "It does feel lucky, and not quite real." She sighs. "Even if the matchmakers don't pair us up, we'll have this time to hold onto."

Large hands hold her tea gently. "I guess I feel that, if you're sure, enjoy the time here even if the Shika chose otherwise for you. So yeah, Nothing wrong with letting Asahina-san know there are feelings there, even if Matsu-san ultimately seems a better match. I tried to leave space for Kitsu-san to know I'd be...happy to end up with him? Even if there'd be sorrow there too. But...I'm not sure that's a consolation."

Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:55 am

"That's just it. I don't know that Matsu-san is the better match. Or rather, i dont know that I'm the better match for him. When we met, when he learned of my training, he asked counsel about his heart being stolen by another samurai-ko. So I mean... I know it's not... It's not just me he has eyes for. And to be honest that's new for me? I don't really know what to make of it. I don't know how I feel about it, either." Her expression grew somber for a moment and she ran a thumbpad along the rim of her cup.
Before she put on a brighter face for Yasu's benefit.

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:35 am

Stirring at her noodles, she laughs. "Oh the entire thing is new to me! I studied anatomy, not matchmaking." She pauses, realizing how that probably sounds. "And...well I gather studying matchmaking's been about as useful when you're in the middle of it as anatomy turns out to be for...ah.." that wasn't quite how she'd ever expected to slide into that topic, but... "sharing a futon, neh?" Hastily scooping some noodles, she slurps them up.

Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:40 am

Narumi found the Crab's flustering entirely too funny, and laughed as well.
"Is that what we're calling it? The walls are thin, Kuni-san, and my neighbours are my cousins. This one can make an educated guess," she smirked, and shook her head in amusement.

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:10 am

She ducks her head in embarrassment, hand shading her eyes. "He did mention that...this morning. Hoo...apologies, Usogawa-san. We can take that sort of thing to my rooms if it's a bother." Not embarrassed enough to say they'd stop, of course.

Description