[D3LA] [Common Room] Weaving 101 (Open)

Lodgings for visitors and a hot springs bathhouse
Moto Mitsuki

[D3LA] [Common Room] Weaving 101 (Open)

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:04 pm

Mitsuki just wanted to make a scarf. Not even a knitted scarf, just a silk one. In theory, all she had to do was to cut up the piece of cloth to the right dimensions, stitch the edges into hems, and she'll be done. Nothing complicated, just a bit time-consuming.

But when you've only held a bow twice, even shooting a target two steps away can be a challenge.

Mitsuki had weaved in the past, en famille, inside the yurt with her parents, siblings, cousins. But hadn't really involved herself in the art, instead pushing back the hard parts to the more expert family members.

And thus there she was, contemplating a beautiful length of blue sky silk with a terribly mangled edge.

Well, at least she had planned for failure. The band was larger that it needed to be, so she just had cut off the disaster to start anew. Again.

Eventually, she should get the gist of it. That's how learning works after all.

Though she could do with some good advice and maybe an extra pair of hands.

---

D3LA | Making a scarf | Design/Fire | TN: 1 | Success: 0 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 0

Opportunity symbol: If you failed, provide [unskilled] assistance to the next character trying to accomplish the same action (p. 298 CRB)
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Kakita Akihiro

Re: [D3LA] [Common Room] Weaving 101 (Open)

Post by Kakita Akihiro » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:28 am

Following his walk through the garden, the Crane came back to the inn to change clothes and get ready for the evening's entertainment such as it was. His four layers of clothes were heavy but by this point Akihiro was well able to move with the grace that he had been born with. So it was that he strode up to the Moto to bow in an elegant and obviously practiced fashion.

"Unicorn-san, well met. I am Kakita Akihiro, of the Kakita Academy. The sun passes us overhead to mark the hours since our birth and entrance to the game of life, while we toil beneath it, doing our duty and finding what little glimmers of laughter and love are left. Which I guess is a long winded way of saying that I would be willing to sit and speak if you will allow me?" For only a moment the Kakita wondered if memorizing lines from plays was worth the time spent on it. They never seemed to get the reaction he anticipated.
Crane | Kakita | Duelist | Newest Fashions | Disfiguring Scar

Honor: 66 | Glory: 42| Status: 35
ceremonial kimono or traveling kimono, daisho, silver chopsticks for hairpins, mempo, if needed palanquin, Ryuusuke the attendent

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:34 am

For an instant Mitsuki's brain was not sure which language the Kakita was speaking and switched to sabir. She almost uttered the words "Hello. Moon girl. Help." while pointing at herself then her mangled work.

The emergency switch of her consciousness triggered not a second too early and after a hiccough she answered normally:

"This one is Moto Mitsuki, from the ten thousand blades of the Khan. It'll be my pleasure to have a talk with you Kakita-sama. Should I guess you too are in the town for the miai?"
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).

Kakita Akihiro

Post by Kakita Akihiro » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:42 pm

He sat down with a light touch, careful not to fold his kimonos and cause a wrinkle. "Please, do not use -sama. Please."

Akihiro got comfortable and then looked the Moto over from eye level. "Yes, I am a candidate as well. And Moto-san is most striking, I had noticed you yesterday but my schedule has not allowed me an opportunity to speak with you. The Kakita do not often travel west so this is likely to be my only opportunity to speak to a Unicorn bushi for a year or more."

The Kakita looked over the cloth she was destroying. "But...you seem unhappy with a suitors gift perhaps? It is easier to burn it and send back the ashes."

ceremonial kimono or traveling kimono, daisho, silver chopsticks for hairpins, mempo, if needed palanquin, Ryuusuke the attendent

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:35 pm

"I thought the Kakita had a tradition of touring Rokugan, alone and in anonymity, for one year, to hone their skills with the blade with unfiltered real world experience. Such a trip should pass in Unicorn lands eventually no?

Maybe the tradition has passed out of favor. Would be a shame though, as the idea is very sound. One day on the road can teach as much as one month in the dojo as the idiom goes."

Mitsuki looked down at her work, and played the card of honesty:

"Uh. The other away around. This was supposed to be a gift of mine. A traditionally made silk scarf.

I might have missed a few stitches..."

Kakita Akihiro

Post by Kakita Akihiro » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:28 pm

"The Musha Shugyo is not merely a Kakita tradition...but yes, it is remains a classic staple. I am afraid that I cannot do the same at the moment having already been pressed into service. Lords find it annoying to have to make allowances for their retainers. Besides, the time to do it is immediately following gempukku and I have been an adult for three summers." Akihiro replied in a sad, almost somber tone. The scarf got a little more attention now that he knew it wasn't an article from a suitor.

"If you wish to try again, I could guide you. I am not incapable of producing works of beauty outside of the martial realm after all. And I would consider it a gift from you to allow me the opportunity to show off." This smile is actually genuine.

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:15 pm

"I'll try again until I succeed... But I wouldn't say no to your expert counsels, on the contrary.

A student practicing by themselves can repeat a move one thousand times and still get it wrong. Under the eyes of the master, they will get it right by the third."

A critical look at the remaining untouched silk.

"Hopefully, to save the scarf from turning into a ribbon, it will be on the first or the second try."

On these words, she cut away the unsalvageable part, folded a new helm, and grabbed again the needle to seal it, hopefully right this time. She took her time, letting the Kakita enough of his to intervene if need be.

---

Fluff roll, just an excuse to test the assistance rule

D3MA | Fluff | Making a scarf | Design/Fire | With Kakita Akihiro skilled assistance | TN: 1 | Success: 1 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 0
Image Image Image

Opportunity symbol: Fluff

Kakita Akihiro

Post by Kakita Akihiro » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:27 pm

Akihiro guides as necessary until the scarf is finished. Or at least looks like a scarf. "Moto-san, are you certain you needed my help? Your fingers are not without skill of their own I see."

He leans back once the pair is finished looking over the item. "So, aside from scarf making, what does Moto-san do to fill her time?"

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:58 am

"Well, what all samurai do: Train my body, mind and soul for the moment my lord will need them. What else?

Oh, and explore every nook and cranny of the places I'm currently living at. Going somewhere and just not learning anything from it just feels like such a waste you know?"