[Day 1, LM, Open but expecting] Morning relaxation

Lodgings for visitors and a hot springs bathhouse
Hida Daichi

[Day 1, LM, Open but expecting] Morning relaxation

Post by Hida Daichi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:23 pm

Having set up her go board by the gardens, Daichi takes her seat. Casually arranging pieces on a board to match some memory of hers. Perhaps an old game? Whatever it was from, after setting the last piece, Daichi looks over the board in quiet contemplation.

I know there’s a way to win from this. A move I must have missed.
Crab Clan • Bushi • Gunso • Branch of the Hida line
Honor: 55 | Glory: 49 | Status: 33
Carries: Daisho, jade beaded bracelet

Kakita Sakura

Re: [Day 1, LM, Open but expecting] Morning relaxation

Post by Kakita Sakura » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:31 pm

Hida Daichi wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:23 pm
Having set up her go board by the gardens, Daichi takes her seat. Casually arranging pieces on a board to match some memory of hers. Perhaps an old game? Whatever it was from, after setting the last piece, Daichi looks over the board in quiet contemplation.

I know there’s a way to win from this. A move I must have missed.
Sakura passes by, accompanied by her servant, still dressed in her fine kimono from the morning. As the servant spots the Crab, she whispers to Sakura- who, after a moment, turns to approach Daichi. “Greetings, Hida-san. Have you had rice today?”
Clan: Crane
Honour: 64
Glory: 53
Wears a blue, patterned blindfold at all times.
Is blind- she either uses a cane to tap her way around, or is accompanied by her maid, one Nanami. Generally wears clothing in the form of kimono and hakama, although they're always finely patterned.

Hida Daichi

Post by Hida Daichi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:06 am

Daichi looks up from her board, a tad bit embarrassed that she had gotten so absorbed by it that she missed the Crane pass her the first time. “Ah… Yes, I have. And you, Kakita-san?”

This Hida surprisingly had volume control. She spoke neither too loud nor too softly given the space they were in.

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:08 am

Hida Daichi wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:06 am
Daichi looks up from her board, a tad bit embarrassed that she had gotten so absorbed by it that she missed the Crane pass her the first time. “Ah… Yes, I have. And you, Kakita-san?”

This Hida surprisingly had volume control. She spoke neither too loud nor too softly given the space they were in.
“I have, yes. The Deer are gracious hosts, after all.”

Sakura smiles. “But I find it good to enjoy this small garden in the wake of the ceremonies. Might I assume you are doing the same, Hida-san?”
Is blind- she either uses a cane to tap her way around, or is accompanied by her maid, one Nanami. Generally wears clothing in the form of kimono and hakama, although they're always finely patterned.

Hida Daichi

Post by Hida Daichi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:14 am

“Well, partially.” Daichi taps a go piece against her board for emphasis before continuing on. “I’m studying an old go match I played a bit ago while enjoying the lovely gardens.”

There’s a pause from the Hida, realizing that they hadn’t been fully introduced. “Ah, pardon me. Hida Daichi.”

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:16 am

“Kakita Sakura.”

Sakura sits on the other side of the board. “Oh? I admit to playing, but I am as of yet merely a novice of the game. Was it a game of great interest, Hida-san?”

Hida Daichi

Post by Hida Daichi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:34 am

“Well, they say you learn a great deal more from a loss than you do from a victory. I’m looking to see where I went wrong and how I can improve my game for next time. I can see I improperly defended myself before making an offensive move.” The Hida taps another stone against the board.

“I apologize, I hope I am not boring you with my rather dry explanation.”

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:41 am

Hida Daichi wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:34 am
“Well, they say you learn a great deal more from a loss than you do from a victory. I’m looking to see where I went wrong and how I can improve my game for next time. I can see I improperly defended myself before making an offensive move.” The Hida taps another stone against the board.

“I apologize, I hope I am not boring you with my rather dry explanation.”
“You are not, Hida-san.” Sakura hums, sitting down across from the Crab. “But alas, I have less context, given I cannot see the state of play myself. Perhaps in explaining it to me you may gain new insight, if you are willing?”

Hida Daichi

Post by Hida Daichi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:59 am

“Oh right… Well, my opening moves were the securing of my lower right corner area. My opponent did the same on his right corner, but he went on the offensive up in the my upper right where I had moved to secure ground. We kept pretty even until I stupidly missed an Atari close to the upper right star point. I went on the offensive and my opponent capitalized on that mistake capturing seven of my stones in one go.” Daichi called out the coordinates for each specific stone of exceptional note after explaining the context.

Kakita Sakura

Post by Kakita Sakura » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:06 am

Sakura hums slightly, tilting her head as she builds a picture of the board in her mind. “It seems to me that your opponent was attempting to mislead you deliberately, Hida-san? And I suspect… if you had not fallen into that trap, they were also setting up another Atari on the other side of the board.”