[D0, EE] Rest of the Unwary (Common Room)

Lodgings for visitors and a hot springs bathhouse
Kasuga Yoshi

[D0, EE] Rest of the Unwary (Common Room)

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:07 pm

Evening was coming, and Yoshi nestled in, his back in a corner as he surveyed the room. He idly held his kiseru under a small brazier, puffing on the kizami inside.

Remember bozu, you learn a lot my watching things eat.

The words of his mentor brought a quirk to his lips and he quietly puffed, watching the arrived guests begin to unwind.
Tortoise Clan | Honor: 25 | Glory: 27| Status: 25 | Male | Diplomat | Groomed | Generous | Strife with Mantis
Equipment (standard): Traveling clothes, wakizashi, calligraphy set, knife, kiseru, abacus or gaijin compass, travelling pack, pouch of gaijin coins
(Battle): Tetsubo

"It's an absolute pleasure to see you again. Here, please take this gift. I insist"
Theme Song: Smooth Criminal (Shamisen Style!)

Usogawa Narumi

Re: [D0, EE] Rest of the Unwary (Common Room)

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:37 pm

Narumi entered the common room of the inn as her evening began to wind down- she had changed her clothes into a darker coloured kimono, and let down her hair so it past her shoulders, though as she paused at the doorway she took a moment to blow a few rogue strands back that fell in her face.
Spotting the familiar colours of the Tortoise, which she knew well from her dealings on the river, the Otter made her way to Yoshi's table, and gave a deep incline of her head in greeting.
"Ohayo, Kasuga-san? This one wonders if she might join another weary traveller for a time?" a comfortable smile placed itself upon her painted lips as she regarded him with interest. "I am called Usogawa Narumi, and pleased to meet you."
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:21 pm

My, there certainly seems to be a presence with the Minor Clans here. That's an interesting wrinkle.

Still, if they were lookers like this one, Yoshi would have little reason to complain. There had been a few people circulating around with these Clan colors, but this would be his first interaction.

"The pleasure is mine Usogawa-san." Yoshi puts down his pipe and rises to bow. "Please feel free to join me. Do you mind if I continue to smoke? I know it's a habit that bothers other, and it's one not as fun to share as sake. I can order a round" Yoshi raises a hand to call the host. "Pleasures are always the best shared, I've found"
Tortoise Clan | Honor: 25 | Glory: 27| Status: 25 | Male | Diplomat | Groomed | Generous | Strife with Mantis
Equipment (standard): Traveling clothes, wakizashi, calligraphy set, knife, kiseru, abacus or gaijin compass, travelling pack, pouch of gaijin coins

"It's an absolute pleasure to see you again. Here, please take this gift. I insist"

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:06 pm

"Thank you, sake sounds just fine. And please, if it suits you, I have no complaints about the smoke- it's usual fare in the circles I travel. My uncle even smokes," she adds, and a warm smile invites itself to her lips.
"Is Kasuga-san excited to be participating in the miai? Or is it more of a chore he's been invited to attend? Is there anything this humble Otter might assist him with, anything she might keep an eye out for, and direct candidates his way for his appraisal?" she offers him casually, if not somewhat confidently, and eases into a comfortable sitting position.

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:33 pm

"It is a truly special joy of a samurai that the chores of duty are so pleasant." The words flow smoothly with a tendril of smoke as Yoshi takes a lazy drag from his pipe.

She's rather relaxed. Unafraid, genial but still poised

"Well, you are already doing a great service. An evening drinking with a beautiful, unwed lady is certainly the way I had hoped things would begin."

Yoshi taps out his ash into a small cup from his traveling sack.

"There is no need to be humble with another of the Emperor's Chosen dear lady. We spend enough time keeping to our place without enforcing it on others. However, if you wish to share your insight, this one is happy to listen"

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:02 pm

"Oho," she tried to stifle a laugh but failed, and regarded the handsome Mantis. He was rather charismatic, right off the bat. But that was not uncommon for his clan, she knew from experience. All the better to snare you with, my dear.
Perhaps Narumi wanted to be caught.
"Your words are kind, Kasuga-san. Hopefully our matchmaker is equally kind!" She pauses, and picks up a cup, rubbing her thumbpad along the rim in thought. "To be honest, I wasn't sure if I would meet any others of our particular way of life here. Miais tend to call from more... landlocked clans, neh? Much less travelled, besides. Dare I say, with fewer stories to share of their travels, besides. This one can't imagine a life without travelling the rivers she grew up knowing."

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:06 pm

"I suppose that it would be my way with the seas, same as your rivers. Not that I am a particularly talented sailor, Usogawa-san, but the idea of the world being still around you is...strange to ponder. New places and new people have a special charm...as you yourself must know"

Yoshi sips his drink, allowing himself the honest pleasure of the moment.

"There does seem to be quite a contingent of Otters. I don't believe that I have seen so many in one place before, to be frank. But you've left me curious: what does a fair lady such as yourself need to attend a miai for? If there is such a group, I would think that you would have no trouble for you to snare your own mark, especially considering..."

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:26 pm

"And here I was thinking our numbers were only a few," she countered with a comfortable smile. "But then, I am used to being surrounded by family, by blood and those friends who've become like such."
He asks after why she's here, and Narumi sits up straighter. "Oh! This one also calls herself a matchmaker, in training by her aunt, who is of much renown on the rivers and well sought out. This one has been learning how to weave a red ribbon around others hearts since she was a child. But perhaps this one has taken too long seeking out her own match, and none have met the impossibly high standards of her aunt... And so she finds herself here, where the Deer can work their specialty, and this nakodo-to-be can learn a few things along the way."
Her slender shoulders lift in a shrug, but she is impassive, as if the excitement she usually shows for the opportunity the miai presents has worn thin.
"And you? I would think such a charismatic samurai such as Kasuga-san would have no trouble finding someone in any port he might find himself. So why here?"

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:25 pm

"A matchmaker? Perhaps you can guide me well, and steer me away from poor choices that would see my heart broken. I am sure that you will do very well, your own red ribbon bound tight. Perhaps you can rely on my help to, well, point out the follow of other people's choices."

Kasuga couldn't help but smile as he said the words. This miai could be very entertaining indeed he could play in other people's games.

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:38 pm

"There is nothing that would please this one more than protecting Kasugi-san's heart," she chuckled, colour touching her cheeks then, and took a sip of her tea in pause.
"Keeping one's eyes open to the plethora of opportunity this miai affords has its merits, hai, and perhaps intrepid scoundrels such as we might endeavor to locate a bit of intrigue after nightfall, when loose lips might sink ships as they say." she ventured a confident move.