D12LM Bumps and Bruises (expecting, open)

Lodgings for visitors and a hot springs bathhouse
Matsu Ishioka

Re: D12LM Bumps and Bruises (expecting, open)

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:57 pm

"Well..." He stops before he says it. Looking at Narumi, he can't say it out loud. He shakes his head as his heart wraps around the dagger that at least one of them had finally been strong enough to use.

"Um," he says, voice quivering a little. "Well. So... In a couple days we'll know." He nods, trying to encourage himself. "And we'll... go back to the rest of the empire." He tries to sound at peace but realizes inside that he isn't.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:02 pm

A careful nod, "Hai. The uh. The plan is still for you to return to your Lion lands?" With your Dragon-ko? it doesn't need to be said aloud. Narumi's still angry, assuredly, but this hurts, more than she wants to admit to herself.
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:39 pm

The Lion takes a deep breath.

"Hai, if there's one thing that is certain, it's my family needs me home. I realized that my parents might... retire... here at any time." She can see a different anxiety in him as he struggles with whatever retirement means among the Lion.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:45 pm

Hm. Crisis avoided, conversation deeply private. Only a total and utter asshole would butt in right now.

So he very nearly did.

But he contented himself with returning Narumi's nod, and mouthing "over the wall?" with an interrogative raising of his eyebrows, then winking and getting some tea of his own.
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:15 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:45 pm
A raise of one eyebrow back at the bastard Phoenix tells him they'll definitely talk about this later. It's just their way. Gossiping bitches that they were, after all.

Back to Ishioka, Narumi draws in on herself again despite one part of her wanting to show him the affection she did only days ago while at the same time warring with herself that she should just walk away, but nods as they settle into... a different sort of relationship.
She watches his reaction with interest.
"I'm sure you'll manage," she tries to offer a bit of confidence?
"I'll, um.. Barring the Shika deciding otherwise, I'll be returning to Ehime Toshi, the um.. the closest thing Otter have to a centralized holding, a cluster of permanently-anchored riverboats and barges floating at the center of the Lake of Cherry Blossom Snow. I'm... hm. Let's say cautiously optimistic about what's in store, now that I no longer need answer to my aunt." she certainly sounds more at peace with what's what lies ahead than she has with him before.

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:55 pm

Ishioka is too deep in his own thoughts to notice the interaction with whoever's behind him, and tries to listen attentively to Narumi.

"Oh, you wouldn't..." He cuts off that question, trying to stay within appropriate small talk. "That sounds... Nice." He even puts together the effort for a smile. "Cautiously optimistic is good. If it's considered enough to be cautious then... Good." Whoever Ishioka is right now, it's not the Stone Matsu and it's not the defeated Matsu she's been seeing lately. It is, unfortunately, a Matsu who looks like there's a Crane scout hidden behind every chair in the room.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:17 pm

She rubs at her temple lightly with a bruised hand, cautious on how to proceed,
"No, um.. No, it's been.." she purses lips together shortly. "-suggested to him..." Teeth run on her lower lip in trepidation, "-that he marry out. And the Otter make friends wherever we go, so... And with Tanabe-san likely marrying into the Crab, well," a soft lift of her shoulders, "-there's large sandals left to be filled. Hm." she offers him a small smile, the look in her eyes suddenly soft, that speaks of the love she still holds for him but can't express. Not here.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:59 pm

The Lion eases a little, seeing Narumi a little less anxious. At mention of Tanabe and the Crab, a thought comes and he takes a long deep breath.

"What Yasu-san said... I think I need to trust in the nakodo. Not... presume to know." He nods to reassure himself, then looks at the Otter. "I still..." He sighs and approaches the idea differently. "Do you think... Perhaps for the next couple of days, we should try just being friends?" Ishioka seems like he's fighting through the internal criticism of a crazy new idea, but still manages to put it forward.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:06 pm

She considers this for several moments, regarding him, watching his mind work. "I had no intention of..." a pause, and it might cause Ishioka strife until a warmer smile crosses her lips that he'd recognize well. "I don't want to leave you behind. You're.. you've become to important to me, Ishioka. Despite where we've ended up."

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:12 pm

He sighs heavily. "Too important," he agrees. "But maybe not... Well," he cuts himself off, still not able to say some things even if they seem like they might be true. "Well, good... We'll stay," his voice catches a little, but he pushes past it. "We'll stay in touch. Help the Lion and Otter grow closer," he suggests, only a little awkwardly.
Description