[D7, MA, expecting] Twos of two kinds

A pleasant, rustic tea house
Matsu Ishioka

Re: [D7, MA, expecting] Twos of two kinds

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:13 am

Ishioka locks eyes with Narumi, having heard what her words meant, and he sees that she is barely holding on in what he now feels is a sucking whirlpool entirely of his own making. Gotta get her out. Somehow. Whatever it takes.

"Usogawa-sama, Kitsu-san, my apologies," he begins, already shifting like he's going to rise. "I am... feeling under the weather. Yes. Just suddenly. But clearly you should stay, and enjoy. Except Nar--er, Usogawa-san," he says emphatically, catching her eyes and gesturing toward the door with his head. "Please, Usogawa-san?" He says with urgency, rising somewhat rudely. "You mentioned that... stuff... that helps, uh, the digestion. That you have, and so you need to come with me. Yes?"

Ishioka's eyes plead with her to leave with him. His uncomfortably obvious lying is clearly in service of giving her a respectable means to leave immediately.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:42 am

What.
Narumi at first completely misinterprets Ishioka's reaction, seeing it as him rushing to get away from her. The ground threatens to drop right out from underneath her-- until she hears her name combined with his tone of voice and it throws her back into focusing on him again. It takes a good second for what he's saying to register and make sense.
"Of course, at Matsu-san's request." Her voice still a bit scratchy. "The ginsing salve? From Phoenix ports, I know exactly the one you're looking for. I can retrieve it...
This one asks your forgiveness, Emiko-sama.. Kitsu-san.. if you'll excuse us?" She's on her feet as well in an instant.
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:57 am

Murato was not blind. He didn't know the details of their relationship, but he certainly could see that it was a strategic exit, not an emergency one. He smiled at Ishioka and Narumi.

"I hope that you can resolve the trouble. Thank you for taking care of Ishioka-san," he says with a nod.
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:58 am

The Matsu blinks twice, perhaps believing his own lie for a moment as Narumi makes him seem more just like a humble soldier, thrown off by a genuine affliction. I do feel a little like I need to throw up.

Ishioka doesn't wait for further pleasantries save hurried bows to Murato and Emiko and, as soon as he and Narumi both have a clear path to the door, he walks out with powerful strides. Anxiety is all over his face and he checks over his shoulder more than once to verify she's following.

One outside the door he takes a hard left, leading her over to a small alcove between buildings. It's not really private but it's the closest place that they can at least mostly talk alone.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:09 am

She bows to them both as well, and follows. The faster he moves, the more she dreads what's coming next. But still she follows him to the alcove and comes to a stop when he does. Crossing her arms and tucking hands in sleeves. Eyes still rimmed red with emotion, but now they're questioning, searching his features.

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:47 am

At first she sees his eyes closed, as Ishioka tries to gather himself and form thoughts. When he opens his eyes, they are wide with worry, and his lips part - even quiver for a moment - as he tries to start speaking. Her questioning eyes feel accusatory to him in this state, and he hesitates. That excruciatingly slow heartbeat-and-a-half of silence, with words still completely uncertain, almost strains the Matsu so much he can't start speaking at all. But the words do come, in a quiet but desperate torrent.

"Narumi-san, I am so sorry. Please forgive... Please forgive this foolish man who... I'm so sorry! I didn't..." He closes his eyes and shakes his head, knowing he's not making any sense. "It seemed, you know, enough, andandandandand you and..." He bristles and doesn't say the other man's name. "It just seemed a minor thing, and yet I see..." His breath sounds almost like a hyperventilating wheeze at this point. "I saw it. In your eyes in there andandandandand... I still, see in your eyes how I have wronged you and I am so sorry. I can't..." He hangs his head in defeat, raising an arm to brace himself against the wall beside Narumi. Without looking up, and sounding like a man who might have lost his will to live, the Lion whispers, "Please, please Narumi-san, I pray you. Please tell me that I haven't..."
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:06 am

She watches him and is surprised to see that it's him, not her, who breaks down first. His emotional deluge hits home hard and it breaks her heart more than it's already been broken today. Everything in her is screaming at the same time to embrace him, but she doesn't deserve that from him- "Ishioka-san," she interrupts her own spiralling thoughts to speak quietly, voice threatening to tremble too.
"You don't need to ask forgiveness when you haven't done anything wrong."
The words tumble out.
"I saw you on stage with her, hai. I had a sense that I purposefully ignored, but to see your harmony with her in person..." the tears that threatened now streaked down her cheeks. "You're made for her. And she for you."

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:59 am

Pained and tired, Ishioka had forced his eyes open as Narumi spoke. Her tears call for him to unleash matching ones. When he hears the last words, he's not sure if it's his heart or breathing that have stopped, but surely in his eyes there's a clear look of feeling gutted in that moment.

"Na--Narumi-san," he almost gasps. "A song, a performance isn't..." He's fumbling for words, he knows it and hates it, but his head is swimming and he could probably be knocked over by a tiny puff of air.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:51 am

"I want you to choose me." Narumi whispered with a shuddered breath before gathering herself together. "For tomorrow's event, I mean." She clarified before turning her face up to his, standing precariously close as they were. Wanting truly nothing more than to encircle her arms around his neck and hold him close for comfort and reassurance, but feeling miles away. Keeping her voice hushed: "We don't know what it is, not exactly, just a hint; but if it is what I think it is, and my complete failure at kemari is any example... then either I partner with you, or I sit this one out."

"Because I don't trust anyone here more than I trust you," her quiet words are defensive, clipped, heated, rushed. Colour blooms in her cheeks but she holds her ground.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:07 am

"I..." he exhales, breathless. The return of color to his face and the gasping breath of relief are likely signs he'll agree, but it takes a few moments for the words to catch up: "I thought... I was..." He shakes his big head slowly, belong his thoughts at least a little.

"Of course. Absolutely. I am most honored," he says, his regular voice returning to him finally. After the high intensity of recent moments, he should probably leave it there, but Ishioka, heart now swelling at the opportunity to work with Narumi, he quietly adds, "Your trust means everything to me."
Description