[D7, MA, expecting] Twos of two kinds

A pleasant, rustic tea house
Matsu Ishioka

Re: [D7, MA, expecting] Twos of two kinds

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:44 am

The Matsu had been waiting for the comments, the gentle needling or worse, but when he looked at Narumi, prepared to respond, the little points of sadness behind her eyes were like daggers to his heart. Words died in his throat as his mind raced for the right answer. He thought he'd planned and prepared, but he wasn't ready for the feeling that he'd hurt Narumi.

Seated closest to him, Emiko probably notices the rocky exhale that shakes the Lion's broad shoulders. His eyes stay on Narumi longer than is proper, but he finally tears them away to stare mournfully at his tea cup. His jaw sets like the Stone Matsu is starting to assert control.

"Yes," Ishioka says dryly, "something light hearted was a very wise way to challenge us." He drains his tree cup in one gulp, as though it were filled with sake. "Thank you for your kind words, Usogawa-san."
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:23 am

Murato was trained to see the things bubbling beneat. Bards learned to calm and arouse such things. And knowing what he did it was time to try to do something for his cousin.

"As you say," he directs at Narumi. "There was certainly harmony on display between partners. I had not expected to perform so well with Shika-san. But I strongly suspect I'd have been able to do even better had I the chance to perform with Usogawa Emiko-sama, given that we've actually practiced together several times. The pairings only revealed those that we might have a connection with, not necessarily the strongest."

He sips a bit of tea.
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Usogawa Emiko

Post by Usogawa Emiko » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:04 pm

"One of the things I was taught from a very young age is we're rarely presented with the ideal situation. It's where I somewhat disagree with the nakodo, Shika-sama was expecting to see pairings and talking about future matches when one should be tested in how they adapt in a less usual situation, like Kitsu-sama was in" Emiko dipped her head respectfully to Murato "although I suppose that was training for something that wasn't marriage, but in my mind it feels the same."

She looked at each of them with a smile before adding "I enjoyed it though, but I enjoy every chance to perform."
Otter Clan * Kuge * Heir * Courtier * Dancer * Musician * Very Pretty(Dangerous Allure) * Clumsy * Profile
Courtship points: ?
Equipment: Fan, pretty clothes, makeup/perfume, pillowbooks (sometimes), Tea set (sometimes), Flute (sometimes), odd looking stringed instrument (sometimes)

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:32 pm

Usogawa Emiko wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:04 pm
"One of the things I was taught from a very young age is we're rarely presented with the ideal situation. [...]"
Narumi couldn't help but smirk bitterly at her cousin's wise words. She'd felt Ishioka's gaze on her, but found she could not hold it.
"We have to trust in the nakodo, everything they're putting us through is for good reason." she tries to keep her tone a friendly one. It's incredibly difficult when she feels so torn apart.
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:00 pm

Looking at Narumi, he smiles softly. "It is important to remember that the heart changes. I used to love a little girl I grew up with, as best as I understood it at that age. Bit with time, I changed, she changed and we grew apart. If I met her today, I'm certain my heart would flutter from nostalgia, but that would be all. Our hearts are truly only known by us. It's the ones that we choose to let in and that choose to look that will understand us. Love comes in all shapes and sizes."
Lion Clan * Bard * Bureaucrat * Spiritual * Haunted * Clumsy * Kitsu Honest * Kitsu Eyes
Honor Is the Ideal 59 | Unremarkable Retainer 44 | Imperial Descended Great Clan Samurai 45 | Description
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Katana, Tessen, Yumi & arrows, Shamisen, Helix Piercing Orange Earrings, Shamisen

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:00 pm

Usogawa Narumi wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:32 pm
"We have to trust in the nakodo, everything they're putting us through is for good reason." she tries to keep her tone a friendly one. It's incredibly difficult when she feels so torn apart.
"Tried and true methods produce the best and most consistent results, my grandfather would say," the Stone Matsu says without much emotion. "The Shika do know what they are doing, and making it easy on us is not their concern." He glances at Narumi, only dimly aware that Emiko and Murato are right there. He seems about to say something else, but he holds back and instead fills his tea cup almost to the brim. The cup looks slightly silly, raised in both of his large hands at once, but he lifts it to get a heavy dose of the calming he'd mentioned when introducing it.

"Perhaps we should consider what they have yet to do to us in these challenges," he remarks to the group, not sure it's a good idea but afraid to let the conversation linger on today's event any longer.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:23 am

It's the ones that we choose to let in and that choose to look that will understand us. Murato hit the nail on the head, either intentionally or not, but his words cut deep nonetheless and she looked off to the side, away from the table. Composing herself.
She looks back when Ishioka speaks and hears everything he doesn't say.
Taking a shallow breath, Narumi sat straighter. "They've done enough." She retorts flatly, it's the only way to keep from breaking down. So up goes the performer's mask instead.

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.

Kitsu Murato

Post by Kitsu Murato » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:58 am

"The Shika tests are... unconventional. But in the end the important thing to remember is that we should keep open minds. If not about the tests then about potential matches. Ishioka-san can attest that I have dealt with some struggles myself but his kindness helped me through them," he said with a nod and smile to his fellow Lion, followed by a kind look to Narumi... one that seemed to show an understanding.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:01 am

The Matsu can hear the lifeline that Murato is tossing to him as he feels adrift. He looks to his clanmate and returns the smile, perhaps half-heartedly, but genuinely. Then he looks to Narumi, her walls up, and he closes his eyes.

"Murato-san is too kind with his praise," Ishioka says, voice heavy with emotion. "He is a most noble samurai, kind and benevolent to a fault." The Matsu's eyes turn to Narumi. "He would take all the hurt from one he loves onto himself, even if it destroyed him, that they might be safe... This one can only aspire to such an example," he says, sad and longing.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:08 am

Murato's soothing words are heard and Narumi responds with a subtle but infinitely appreciative nod.
When Ishioka issues his covert apology for something he hasn't even done, she threatens to crumble then and there. She'd already cried once today, not long ago at all, and her eyes begin to rim red as guilt and defeat edge closer to consuming her composure. Her hand holding the tea cup visibly tremors before she tightens her grip.

"...Whomever the Shika choose to be Kitsu-san's bride is truly blessed, that she can count on such devotion from her husband when she needs it most." She takes the risk of meeting his gaze.