[D2MA] tea and interrogation (expecting)

A pleasant, rustic tea house
Usogawa Narumi

Re: [D2MA] tea and interrogation (expecting)

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:57 am

"It would be my pleasure to provide Matsu-san assistance however he sees fit," she answers almost automatically, then with a thought she blinks.
"What sort of things were you thinking you thought?"
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:06 am

The Lion looks a bit uncomfortable with sharing, but after a short time he opens up. "So, it seemed someone more reserved, like a strong, silent type, would be a logical fit for me, but..." Narumi can see in his eyes that he's picturing someone in particular now as he hesitates.

"Um, it's possible," he looks down at the tea cup again, "that a... more energetic personality is, um, appealing..."
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:15 am

Oh...
She read his cues, and dipped down her head that she would better invite his gaze to return to her. With kindness in her voice, she continues, "Who have you been seeing, who's caught such a stoic Lion so off guard?"

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:34 am

Narumi's maneuver does catch his eyes and draw him back up. He shifts a little in his seat and glances to each side, looking secretive, but he brings his attention back to the Otter.

"I met a samurai-ko before I'd even stepped through the gates, but she is... very... not like me," he says with a small amount of unease. "And I wouldn't think her a good match at all because, um... Her clan..." The Lion looks at Narumi, his eyes hinting that too much answer here might... require more explanation.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:43 am

Oh.....
"I see. The walls might hear things we'd rather they not," Narumi offers a meager smile, and tucked an errant lock of hair behind one ear, considering.
"Well, it pleases this one to know your heart has made it's choice. And so soon!." She understood that well enough, as had her own she realized somewhat suddenly, the weight of said realization landing squarely and her brow furrows.
..... Oh.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:42 am

The Lion's eyes suddenly go wide. "Choice? Made? I..." He pauses. Wait, I haven't, have I? No! She's just misunderstanding because you're trying to talk like a Crane courtier!

Ishioka pages both hands flat on the table. He breathes slowly, then looks at Narumi with his eyes still showing consternation. After another breath, he tries again.

"Ahem. Usogawa-san, um. My apologies. I am... less than ideally suited to speaking obliquely or figuratively. May I, um, share a bit more that... That I think may help clarify my admittedly muddled thoughts?"
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:00 am

He flustered. The Stone Lion flustered and Narumi immediately found it endearing.
"Of course, clarify away."

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:11 am

"Thank you," he says with a nod. He takes a deep breath, and then explains with more clarity.

"My thinking had been clear in some respects. 'No Dragons,' for example, as my family line in particular has... animosity... toward that clan." He pauses, perhaps giving the faintest hint of a sigh. "Yet here at this miai is a Dragon samurai-ko who," he shakes his head, "is so different from what I had understood of the Dragon, and is so different from me, and yet... I am very curious about her." He takes a breath, realizing he'd started talking rather quickly. "It makes one wonder what preferences they actually have," he says, looking slightly sullen.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:30 am

"Hmm. If her preference is not you, Matsu-san, then i would hate to say she's not as insightful as I've otherwise been led to believe about the Dragon, wouldn't you agree?"
She grew serious as his expression darkened.
"Any samurai-ko would be lucky to have you turn your attention towards them. I hope she knows just how lucky she is."

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:36 am

The Lion blinks, slowly and dramatically, at Narumi.

"Usogawa-san, you are most kind, but it would be greatly appreciated if, perhaps from your experience with matchmaking, you could show me an example where a marriage works between people with almost nothing in common, and without even a higher political or family duty to hold them together?"
Description