[D2MA] tea and interrogation (expecting)

A pleasant, rustic tea house
Usogawa Narumi

Re: [D2MA] tea and interrogation (expecting)

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:11 am

She blinks before pushing an errant lock of hair back from face. "No... No, I was never a believer in luck. Well maybe as a little girl. Maybe before..." Slow down, she pauses before starting again, dropping her gaze to her cup. "Maybe before this one had to grow up before she might have otherwise chosen to. If there is such a thing as luck, it turns a blind eye to me, Matsu-san, I assure you."
It's only a moment of further deep thought before the trained entertainer in Narumi returns, her smile slides back into place, her gaze raises to confidently meet the Lion's and she inclines her head with interest in what he may have to say.
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:33 am

The Lion observes Narumi's reaction, not immediately reacting or saying anything. He switches to a quieter, more solemn voice than he has really used around her yet.

"I have... some very specific thoughts about people behind pushed to grow up too fast," he says with an empathetic look in his eyes. She can see he has an unhappy story behind the comment, then he takes a dramatic look at his tea cup. "Perhaps we'll talk about those kinds of thoughts over sake or shochu, rather than tea." It's a statement rather than a question, but the implied invitation is there for Narumi's consideration.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:33 pm

His understated reaction to her momentary infraction of face is appreciated, and she's touched to see a softer glimpse of the Lion.
Still Narumi the entertainer has slammed back into place firmly.
"Matsu-san is most kind, and generous in his concern for this one. Sake sounds just fine, at your pleasure I am available, simply call on me and my time is yours."

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:40 pm

Ishioka gives a polite smile, and with a little more warmth and humor says, "Usogawa-san shouldn't be so quick to make time for a grumpy Lion. You haven't even heard my match-related thoughts that we planned to discuss. Perhaps I am already a lost cause?" He smiles lightly, which for this Matsu at least suggests reasonable comfort.

"Clearly why there are several sons of Akodo here, hm? We are most in need of the skills of the Deer. And the skills of a friendly Otter," he adds, his smile still modest, but warm.

------------------
D2 agenda at Usogawa Narumi: An ancestor of the Shika will bless the marriages of the Lion. Courtesy/Water because charming Lion. | TN: 2 | Success: 4 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 4
Image Image Image Image Image
Opportunity to cancel 1 strife. Net 3 strife.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:49 pm

She returned the polite smile. "Ah so, Matsu-san is correct, we've been remiss in discussing what this meeting is for, neh? Have you given further thought? Or had eyes for a certain someone this friendly Otter can assist obtaining further time with? Though this one believes Matsu-san is perfectly capable of obtaining anothers interest without my meddling..."

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:31 am

Ishioka lets a ghost of a smile pass over his face. "An interesting swirl of thoughts as well as... meeting some interesting people. It is... difficult to make sense of it all," he admits.

"Perhaps the best place to start is that my family is... highly motivated to see one of our line join the elite Lion's Pride, which includes the fiercest samurai-ko in the empire. Lacking good bloodlines for that, they would appreciate a daughter-in-law who helps elevate the family's status... Ah, forgive me, the, ah, competitiveness among families in the Matsu is not always recognized by other clans." The tall man seems less than excited about these considerations.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:36 am

"Hai so, a warrior princess of high status, very specific," Narumi smiled with a quirk to her lips, happy to have her mind busy on other things, though grateful for the Lion's concern. She might just take him up on his offer to talk more. That was up in the air at the moment.
"And please, don't apologize. This one is keen to learn whatever Matsu-san believes is information she should know about this most important search." she said truly.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:30 am

The Lion makes a face, like he's just bitten into a sour piece of fruit. He looks down at the tea cup that he's fully ignored until now.

"I am... skeptical... that that would be my best match, notwithstanding the joy it would bring my parents. I'm now t their youngest child, the last to be married, and these hopes and expectations are new to me. And perhaps an ill fit, given... as you've noticed, I am not the stereotypical Matsu." He looks up to gauge her reaction to this obvious but until-now-unspoken reality.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:35 am

She meets his eyes and nods in sympathy. "I relish the strange and unusual, Matsu-san, those who don't fit into predetermined boxes, who struggle to find for themselves who they truly are." There was more to the Stone Lion than she initially gave him credit for, so this meeting had shown her- and for that, Narumi was grateful.
"It makes getting to know them that much more interesting."

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:41 am

"Indeed. Taking the time to learn things can be a treasure."

He takes a sip of the now tepid tea, perhaps just as an affectation because it seems to create no reaction at all.

"Perhaps you can help me make sense of myself. I had thought I had some preferences, some points of concern..." He sets the tea cup down and looks at it with a frown. "Yet in some discussion I have had with other participants... I am less sure that I think what I thought I think."
Description