[D2MA] tea and interrogation (expecting)

A pleasant, rustic tea house
Usogawa Narumi

Re: [D2MA] tea and interrogation (expecting)

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:10 am

She was in the middle of raising her cup to her lips when he posed his question. It threw her enough that she nearly dropped the cup.
"Oh. Um. Uh. Well." She stuttered. "My parents. I mean. I wasn't involved in their match. Um. Obviously. But never have i seen two more diametrically opposite people in love." She couldve stopped there. She probably should have.
"I don't remember much about them, I lost them when I was young. But what I do remember is how truly in love with one another they were. My mother was meek, a scholar, bookish and small. She loved stories and art and music. My father was Hiruma before he gave up everything to follow her on the river. He was very matter of fact, direct, not prone to flights of fancy or imagination. Yet they were enthralled with one another from the moment they met, and until their last day that never faded. I remember not understanding what drew them together, but understanding completely that they would never be driven apart..."
A lonely smile touched her lips. "Never have I seen their equal. And if I am lucky enough to be loved by someone even half as much as my father loved my mother, then truly I will have been blessed by Benten."
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:23 am

In this moment, a long silent one that accentuates why Ishioka is the Stone Matsu, he simply stares at the Otter. Although the time isn't long, the intense, uninterrupted glare of a Matsu is probably enough to justify hiding under the table.

When the man finally speaks, he looks at his hands, flat on the table out in front of him. His voice is low, curious but definitely lacking confidence. "That isn't logical," he says. "It's... possible, of course, but not... How could it be planned for..."
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:37 am

That smile falters until the Lion's scrutiny, and in its place a placid expression emerges, cool as still water, and she waits.
When he decides to speak, she sets down her cup.
"True love, the real thing, it doesn't follow any set of rules. It isn't logical. It crashes over you like a wave. Icy and shocking and brutal."
Oh, indeed. She finally understood.
She knew that wave.

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:53 am

"A cold wave? Hmm. Well, it's something." He nods. "Thank you, Usogawa-san. I have not been hit by any waves yet. Just... Flights of fancy? I believe I've heard that phrase but don't really understand it. Much like my... surprising... interests."

The Lion again picks up his tea and takes a drink. When he looks at Narumi again, his face is still neutral, but there's less intensity to it. Like at least no conscious effort is being made to maintain the facade.

"In addition to kind and helpful, you're very patient, Usogawa-san. Thank you. It is clear, I think, that this one is... a bit of a project for a matchmaker." He gives Narumi a small smile. It's brief, and it might be missed entirely if one isn't paying close attention, but the rapport with Ishioka is growing.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:14 pm

Her head dipped in a low nod of appreciation at his compliment, and she smiled inwardly to herself. His own smile in turn was not missed by her observation.
"Thank you, as well. And any nakodo worth her salt would rise to the challenge to find you happiness."

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:58 pm

The stoic man seems to hesitate a moment, then says, "Well, I welcome the continued help of this nakodo. If I am not too troublesome, perhaps I can be considered good practice for your future work," he says, a little quietly, with a small but legitimate smile.
Description

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:40 pm

"Very well, Matsu-san." Her tea was finished, and she glanced about the tea house before returning her gaze to him steadily. "I thank you for your company... but I believe this is where we part until next time," she offered a knowing smile.

Matsu Ishioka

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:47 pm

"Indeed. Fare well until then," Ishioka says, his small smile seeming to persist until he rises to depart.

/scene?
Description