[D1 EE] Tortoise Tea for Two

A pleasant, rustic tea house
Kasuga Yoshi

Re: [D1 EE] Tortoise Tea for Two

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:04 pm

Aimi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:48 pm

Aimi raises her eyebrows.

"Why? 'tis hardly a choice, Kasuga-san," she says with a rueful smile, "As I said, I've told no lies. I truly am a ronin, and before your generous gift, I lacked the coin to purchase such tools and garments as to make myself so... presentable. I could perhaps have scrimped and saved and borrowed from generous former patrons to make an impression, but I would still have fallen short of what a Clan samurai can attain with the merest effort, and if there is one thing the courts punish more than anything else, it is overreach."
"Are you sure about that?" Yoshi's eyes dance with mischief. "The overreach I mean? Because if so, you have a natural talent greater than most for presenting yourself. I would say that that kimono ranks high among my best investments. You are more than presentable Aimi-san, and I believe that you know it"
Tortoise Clan | Honor: 25 | Glory: 27| Status: 25 | Male | Diplomat | Groomed | Generous | Strife with Mantis
Equipment (standard): Traveling clothes, wakizashi, calligraphy set, knife, kiseru, abacus or gaijin compass, travelling pack, pouch of gaijin coins
(Battle): Tetsubo

"It's an absolute pleasure to see you again. Here, please take this gift. I insist"
Theme Song: Smooth Criminal (Shamisen Style!)

Aimi

Post by Aimi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:55 pm

Kasuga Yoshi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:04 pm
"Are you sure about that?" Yoshi's eyes dance with mischief. "The overreach I mean? Because if so, you have a natural talent greater than most for presenting yourself. I would say that that kimono ranks high among my best investments. You are more than presentable Aimi-san, and I believe that you know it"
The tea arrives at this point, and Aimi busies herself setting and pouring the cups.

"Mm, true," she says, a faint twinkle in her eye, "Perhaps I have more personal reasons to be content with what I am, instead of striving for something higher. No matter how enjoyable the odd indulgence is, one should not grown over fond of impermanent things."

She sets the teapot down, and takes a moment to enjoy the fragrance of the house brew before lifting the small cup to her lips. "Though I suppose, should the miai achieve its goal, such pleasures might become a more regular fixture in the future. A pleasant thought, to be sure."
Clan: Ronin Shugenja
Honour: 36 (Honour is the Ideal)
Glory: 36 (Samurai of no renown)

Carries a walking stick made from impossibly ancient wood, and a beautifully decorated amulet marked with prayers to Benten hangs from her Obi.

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:22 pm

Aimi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:55 pm

The tea arrives at this point, and Aimi busies herself setting and pouring the cups.

"Mm, true," she says, a faint twinkle in her eye, "Perhaps I have more personal reasons to be content with what I am, instead of striving for something higher. No matter how enjoyable the odd indulgence is, one should not grown over fond of impermanent things."

She sets the teapot down, and takes a moment to enjoy the fragrance of the house brew before lifting the small cup to her lips. "Though I suppose, should the miai achieve its goal, such pleasures might become a more regular fixture in the future. A pleasant thought, to be sure."
"And I suppose I could see a value, in some cases." Yoshi offers a bow of thanks and toasts with the tea cup. "Of what it would be like to see how you are treated without the benefit of "what comes easy", as you put it. To see how people are deep down, when they aren't looking for your status, or reputation. Just you." Yoshi flashes a smile. "Hypothetically"
Tortoise Clan | Honor: 25 | Glory: 27| Status: 25 | Male | Diplomat | Groomed | Generous | Strife with Mantis
Equipment (standard): Traveling clothes, wakizashi, calligraphy set, knife, kiseru, abacus or gaijin compass, travelling pack, pouch of gaijin coins

"It's an absolute pleasure to see you again. Here, please take this gift. I insist"

Aimi

Post by Aimi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:35 pm

Kasuga Yoshi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:22 pm
"And I suppose I could see a value, in some cases." Yoshi offers a bow of thanks and toasts with the tea cup. "Of what it would be like to see how you are treated without the benefit of "what comes easy", as you put it. To see how people are deep down, when they aren't looking for your status, or reputation. Just you." Yoshi flashes a smile. "Hypothetically"
Aimi blinks... then settles back with her teacup, eying the Tortoise samurai with some amusement and interest.

"And just who is this hypothetical woman, hmm?" She asks, fighting a smile, "Am I to imagine her as some great hero, or one of the kuge? The Son of Heaven has no daughters, so alas I cannot picture a runaway princess, but surely there are only so many swaddled maidens dreaming of a chance to prove themselves on the open road."

Carries a walking stick made from impossibly ancient wood, and a beautifully decorated amulet marked with prayers to Benten hangs from her Obi.

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:34 pm

Yoshi observes the girl across from him carefully. "Well, are we speaking in hypotheticals? Well, perhaps it's a fanciful story, but since you seem to like them..."

Yoshi finishes his cup of tea. "Let's say that there is a young samurai who has recently completed their gempukku. They are part of a family of good standing, but are out of the line of succession. If I was going to pick a name out of a hat I would say...Bayushi perhaps. Normally, they might be a bargaining chip in an arrangement with another family but ah, like many young samurai they choose to take a Warrior's Pilgrimage and become a shugyosha "

"Now, just perhaps, the shugyosha has the chance to decide their own fate. They could attend a miai, and see how they are treated by the samurai of their generation. Perhaps they find someone who is especially good match, or use their skills to achieve a pairing that would never be considered possible by their family. Even better, if there is no match, or a particularly bad match, there is nothing to tie their life back in their Clan to it, as they are a different person on their Warrior's Pilgrimage. Therefore, attending the miai is a low risk gambit that has potential lifelong rewards."

Yoshi moves to pour himself another cup of tea. "But as I said, it's just a story."

Aimi

Post by Aimi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:16 pm

Kasuga Yoshi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:34 pm
Yoshi observes the girl across from him carefully. "Well, are we speaking in hypotheticals? Well, perhaps it's a fanciful story, but since you seem to like them..."

Yoshi finishes his cup of tea. "Let's say that there is a young samurai who has recently completed their gempukku. They are part of a family of good standing, but are out of the line of succession. If I was going to pick a name out of a hat I would say...Bayushi perhaps. Normally, they might be a bargaining chip in an arrangement with another family but ah, like many young samurai they choose to take a Warrior's Pilgrimage and become a shugyosha "

"Now, just perhaps, the shugyosha has the chance to decide their own fate. They could attend a miai, and see how they are treated by the samurai of their generation. Perhaps they find someone who is especially good match, or use their skills to achieve a pairing that would never be considered possible by their family. Even better, if there is no match, or a particularly bad match, there is nothing to tie their life back in their Clan to it, as they are a different person on their Warrior's Pilgrimage. Therefore, attending the miai is a low risk gambit that has potential lifelong rewards."

Yoshi moves to pour himself another cup of tea. "But as I said, it's just a story."
"A creative one, though, and quite eloquently told," Aimi says, allowing herself a delighted laugh, "And certainly a flattering one, at that. If the miai is eventful, said mysterious samurai could well serve as the protagonist of any number of plays and pillowbooks."

She sips her tea, nodding fractionally in appreciation at the taste. "Of course, if the tale were true, the shugyosha would deny it just as fervently as a trueborn ronin, would she not?"

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:13 pm

Aimi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:16 pm
[

"A creative one, though, and quite eloquently told," Aimi says, allowing herself a delighted laugh, "And certainly a flattering one, at that. If the miai is eventful, said mysterious samurai could well serve as the protagonist of any number of plays and pillowbooks."

She sips her tea, nodding fractionally in appreciation at the taste. "Of course, if the tale were true, the shugyosha would deny it just as fervently as a trueborn ronin, would she not?"
"I am glad that you enjoyed my flight of fancy. Perhaps I should try my hand at running a playhouse. I think you would be rather gifted on stage and quite a draw if you so chose " Yoshi's replies genially. " And yes, I would imagine they the shugyosha would need. They would be compelled to deny it. "

Yoshi breathes in the scent of the tea. "For the male counterpart, I think he would have to know something was amiss, but does not press. That he would accept that there's a secret that must be held for Honor's sake, and that their constancy sees them rewarded."

" Now, who would the antagonist be...? " The Tortoise muses aloud, drumming his fingers on the table.

Aimi

Post by Aimi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:24 pm

"Must there be one?" Aimi asks mildly, setting her teacup down. "Surely such a work relies on the internal drama of the protagonist to generate tension, rather than some external foe. Save, of course, for one who knows the truth of her background. Should one exist."

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:08 pm

"Fair point" Yoshi inclines his head and nods to show agreement. "The tension between Duty and romance might well be enough. Perhaps a few stock Crane to act extra pretentious about our heroine, maybe."

"As for "the one who knows her background", I wouldn't put it in my story." Yoshi gives a chuckle, putting a courtly hand over his mouth to hide the laugh. "Someone who would hang around making a threats to expose them seem likely candidates to die to horrific accidents, or to fall victim of one of their own schemes. They sound like a bit character and I think the heroine is interesting enough"

Aimi

Post by Aimi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:58 pm

"Hmm. And where does the male counterpart's plot go, in your mind?" Aimi tilts her head, blinking innocently at Yoshi, "After all, in this story you have woven, he knows that something is unsaid but elected not to press, and his discretion is both noticed and appreciated. Put together with his other appearances in the play - a pleasant conversation, a thoughtful gift perhaps, and of course a handsome actor - why, the audience might be pushed to the edge of their seats in anticipation of where his story goes next. And with who, if any, it... intertwines."