[Day 4, Late Afternoon- Pei's Pei's Office] Here Goes Nothing (Closed)

Home to Deer clan samurai
Shiba Raizo

[Day 4, Late Afternoon- Pei's Pei's Office] Here Goes Nothing (Closed)

Post by Shiba Raizo » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:27 pm

Raizo had actually... put some effort into his appearance and presentation.

Pei Pei reminded him of a gunso he'd had once.

The scary one, because he hadn't shouted, or bullied, or anything like that.
He'd just nodded, taken notes, and then...

And then you find yourself standing watch in the middle of the worst night in years.

So.

He had his manners on as he approached the nakodo's office.
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Shika Pei Pei

Re: [Day 4, Late Afternoon- Pei's Pei's Office] Here Goes Nothing (Closed)

Post by Shika Pei Pei » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:59 am

"Enter." came the ocmmand.

Pei Pei was back at her desk, going over some documents, which she rolled back up at the Phoenix's entry.

"Ah, Shiba-san. How an I assist you?" she offered with a polite bow.
Deer Clan * Matchmaker * Experienced

“Now, pour the tea.”

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:16 am

Raizo bowed- just as he would have to his scary gunso- and began.

"Shika-sama, I know you are busy, and I also know that neither my conversation nor my company are exactly ornamental, so thank you for seeing me on such short notice. I'll try to waste as little of your time as possible. A friend has suggested I speak to you on the matter of potential matches. I find such a notion a bit premature, but... I am also out of my element and have opted to listen to more experienced advice."

Unspoken was the fact that if Pei Pei told him to get lost, he was more than ready to get lost.
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Shika Pei Pei

Post by Shika Pei Pei » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:05 am

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:16 am
Raizo bowed- just as he would have to his scary gunso- and began.

"Shika-sama, I know you are busy, and I also know that neither my conversation nor my company are exactly ornamental, so thank you for seeing me on such short notice. I'll try to waste as little of your time as possible. A friend has suggested I speak to you on the matter of potential matches. I find such a notion a bit premature, but... I am also out of my element and have opted to listen to more experienced advice."

Unspoken was the fact that if Pei Pei told him to get lost, he was more than ready to get lost.
To his relief/horror, Pei Pei did NOT in fact tell him to get lost.

"There is still much to consider, Shiba-san. While someone one is fated to marry the first person they meet at a miai, there are some who do not meet until the very final day. What can I advise you on?" she asked, her judgmental eyes studying his reactions carefully.

“Now, pour the tea.”

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:15 am

Shika Pei Pei wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:05 am
To his relief/horror, Pei Pei did NOT in fact tell him to get lost.

"There is still much to consider, Shiba-san. While someone one is fated to marry the first person they meet at a miai, there are some who do not meet until the very final day. What can I advise you on?" she asked, her judgmental eyes studying his reactions carefully.
"I'm... As I am certain you or your subordinates are aware, interested in a certain party. So far, so good. But... I know that the point of a miai is to meet multiple candidates."

He sighed.

"And I am very, very bad at that part. I was hoping you might have concrete, actionable advice for how I might circumvent... A rather stubborn personal leaning. I mean, were I to be matched with the person I have... found common ground with, very well. But I know that the decisions are yours, and that your work is aided if one.. gives you more to work with than a fixated, and probably childish infatuation."
Remember to Breathe

Shika Pei Pei

Post by Shika Pei Pei » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:22 am

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:15 am

"I'm... As I am certain you or your subordinates are aware, interested in a certain party. So far, so good. But... I know that the point of a miai is to meet multiple candidates."

He sighed.

"And I am very, very bad at that part. I was hoping you might have concrete, actionable advice for how I might circumvent... A rather stubborn personal leaning. I mean, were I to be matched with the person I have... found common ground with, very well. But I know that the decisions are yours, and that your work is aided if one.. gives you more to work with than a fixated, and probably childish infatuation."
Pei Pei nodded.

"This is very understandable, Shiba-san" she assured him. "But you are at least wise enough to understand that this is not perhaps the best situation for yourself to be in. After all, the things that make someone an attractive romantic partner most likely have nothing to do with what will make them a good long term spouse."

"So then what sort of advice would help Shiba-san the most? How to broaden his meeting of candidates? How to see the flaws of the one he is smitten with? How to keep a cool head when he sees them?"

“Now, pour the tea.”

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:26 am

Shika Pei Pei wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:22 am
Pei Pei nodded.

"This is very understandable, Shiba-san" she assured him. "But you are at least wise enough to understand that this is not perhaps the best situation for yourself to be in. After all, the things that make someone an attractive romantic partner most likely have nothing to do with what will make them a good long term spouse."

"So then what sort of advice would help Shiba-san the most? How to broaden his meeting of candidates? How to see the flaws of the one he is smitten with? How to keep a cool head when he sees them?"
"Very much the first. Her flaws... I know many of them, but they're part of why we get along so well. And as for keeping a cool head... I know Shika-sama has seen many a young fool in her time. I think we both know such advice would be easier to say I understand than to enact. But... You have seen how this one functions in matters of... culture, Shika-sama. I am very, very... bad at conversation without a pretext, and my manner does not always... welcome those of a more... refined sort."

He paused.

"And knowing more people, could well blunt some of the... disappointment. I often glibly say that I have grown accustomed to disappointment, Shika-sama, but my eventual wife, whoever she ends up being, doesn't deserve any... sourness on my part."
Remember to Breathe

Shika Pei Pei

Post by Shika Pei Pei » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:51 pm

Pei Pei felt somewhat sympathetic for the struggling young man.

" I cannot make you a master conversationalist in a matter of minutes, Shiba-san, but I can offer you a little bit of advice to help you." She offered. "Learning the art of conversation is going to be just like learning the spear with Zang-sensei. You will be awkward at first. You will get knocked down a number of times. You will feel the pain of it for days to come. But if you get back up and keep trying, you will improve."

She considered a moment.

"The events that we hold do more than simply allow us to see how you react to various challenges, they give you a chance to bond with your fellow attendees. To celebrate your shared triumphs and commiserate your shared defeats. And like in training with a weapon, you need to start with those closer to your skill level. Start with the members of your own clan, they're more likely to forgive your fumbles. Then branch out to the Crane, your clan's permanent allies. Keep trying and you will improve."

“Now, pour the tea.”

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:26 pm

He actually chuckled at that.

"Kaito-san doesn't need me hovering around her- she's actually doing quite well, despite her insecurities on that front. And the Crane... the only ones here I relate to are the guys."

A pause.

"And one of them seems happily oblivious, and the other is rapidly sliding down the mountainside into abject misery."
Remember to Breathe

Shika Pei Pei

Post by Shika Pei Pei » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:33 pm

Pei Pei cocked an eyebrow at that.

"Really, Shba-san? I would have thought Kakita Reina would be fairly approachable, given what I know of her nature." she offered.

“Now, pour the tea.”