(D2, MM) Love Throughout History (Event)

Wide hallways through which the low and high pass en route to their affairs
Matsu Ishioka

Re: (D2, MM) Love Throughout History (Event)

Post by Matsu Ishioka » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:12 pm

When his turn comes and after the initial pleasantries, once Shika Pei-Pei explains the nature of the interview, the Stone Matsu, Matsu Ishioka, doesn't smile. But the glow on his impassive face, the light in his eyes hint at him being pleased at this "test."

"Shika Pei-pei-sama, this one is honored to speak of his distinguished ancestors..."

Ishioka described, in detail, the exploits of his great-grandfather, Matsu Ishikawa, the cunning tactician who won Breath of Beauty village from the Dragon. He described the serenity of his grandfather, Kaiu Odoma, who taught him the importance of a warrior's mental as well as physical stamina. He described, with extra gusto, the archery talents of his ancestor Matsu Hikohime, who among other achievements had made a top-three finish at an Imperial winter court. He described how, despite her small stature, his ancestor Matsu Fujiko had been among the greatest athletes of the empire in her time, with physical endurance like a Crab and sustainable speed like the fleetest Daidoji scout.

It was a through and compelling recitation. By the end, starting to feel some fiery Matsu pride in his belly, Ishioka smiled and bowed politely but he was glad to be dismissed by the Shika. Some fresh air would most certainly do him well.

------------
2) Masters of a field: Martial skill group. Roll Earth/4 different skills in that group . Two of the TNs are 2, and two of them are 3, you choose before rolling which skill is which TN.

Meditation at TN3
D2 Pei-pei interview roll 2: Earth/Meditation TN3. Skill 1, Earth 3, Indomitable Will. | TN: 3 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 3
Image Image Image
Net 3 strife.

Fitness at TN3
D2 Pei-pei interview. Roll 1: Earth/Fitness at TN3. Skill 2, Earth 3. | TN: 3 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 3
Image Image Image Image
Opportunity to cancel a Strife. Net 2 strife.

Tactics at TN2
D2 Pei-pei interview roll 3: Earth/Tactics TN2. Skill 1, Earth 3 | TN: 2 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 2
Image Image Image
1 bonus success. Net 2 strife.

MARanged at TN2
D2 Pei-pei interview roll 4: MARanged/Earth TN2. Skill 1, Earth 3. | TN: 2 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 0
Image Image Image
1 Opportunity to show off. No strife.

Success on all rolls. 1 opportunity used to show off. 1 total bonus success. Total 7 strife.
Lion Clan * Bushi * "The Stone Matsu" * Few words, many thoughts * Isn't mad at you, but is disappointed
Honor: 61 | Glory: 51 | Status: 35
Courtship points: check courtship tracker.
Wears/carries: fantastic poker face, common Lion bushi garb, daisho, fan with meditative/skeptical lion painted on it.
Description

Bayushi Mitsu

Post by Bayushi Mitsu » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:00 pm

"Shika-sama," Bayushi began after the greetings and getting settled, "the Bayushi line is wide, and deep, as I'm sure you know, and listing even just the important ancestors would of course take far too long. However, let me see if I can recall some of the standouts..." He held the bottom edge of his mask between thumb and forefinger.

"There was Bayushi Yoshimitsu, of course. He was famously a cunning and ruthless strategist, but few perhaps realize that he was a master of learning when and where his enemies would appear far before they arrived."

(D2, MM) Love Throughout History - Skulduggery (Earth) - Roll 1 | TN: 1 | Success: 1 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 0

"And one must not forget Bayushi Min, who at great risk to herself observed rebellious conspirators and reported on their plots to the Emperor." [using an opportunity to show off]

(D2, MM) Love Throughout History - Skulduggery (Earth) - Roll 2 | TN: 2 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 0
Image Image

"Have you heard of Soshi Sakura, the swordswoman? No? She was not a swordswoman at all, actually." [using an opportunity to show off]

(D2, MM) Love Throughout History - Skulduggery (Earth) - Roll 3 (void point) | TN: 3 | Success: 1 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 1
Image Image

"Perhaps someone who wasn't born a Scorpion? There was Daidoji Jiro, who was a swordsman, and quite a good one in fact. You haven't heard of him? He was very clever in how he distracted his opponents when dueling..." [using an opportunity to show off]

(D2, MM) Love Throughout History - Skulduggery (Earth) - Roll 4 | TN: 4 | Success: 1 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 1
Image Image

Bayushi gave a small cough and straightened himself. "I suppose some of them are obscure, but, an interesting group nonetheless."

-----
Rolls passed: 2
Opportunities used to show off: 3
Total bonus successes: 0
Total bonus successes on a single roll: 0
Glory: 46
Honor: 30
Scorpion Clan ❖ Retainer
Glory: 46 ❖ Honor: 30 ❖ Status: 35
Carries: fine clothing, deep burgundy full face mask with gold trim, dark steel daisho with burgundy wrappings
“Right isn’t always right.”

Kitsuki Kiyonobu

Post by Kitsuki Kiyonobu » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:50 pm

The question stumped Kiyonobu initially, but he gave it careful thought.

“I’m sure you must know Kitsuki Kiyonobu the poet was my great-uncle,” he said at last. “I cannot claim to be as talented as him, but I do draw a certain inspiration from his works and I hope to bring honor to his name.” This was, of course, an extremely obvious ancestor to claim, but the Dragon spoke with such seriousness that it was difficult to criticize the choice.

“Perhaps you may also have heard of Kitsuki Gota, a learned physician of the 10th century,” Kiyonobu offered. “It was he who discovered a new method of treating the sleeping sickness, that is still used to this day. I put great store in his method of attempting a novel treatment and observing the results; this philosophy also may apply in other areas of study.”

“Through my mother’s line, I am a descendant of the courtier Doji Hanako, who was a court favorite some eighty years ago, whose daughter was married into the Dragon,” he continued. “I hope I may learn to have even half as much insight as my revered ancestor did.”

“But perhaps the most significant of my ancestors is Kitsuki Hirokatsu, an Emerald Magistrate of the 9th century,” he finished with some pride. “He was an early adherent of the Kitsuki method, and using those techniques of observation, solved numerous crimes, even stopping a plot against the Agasha daimyo of his day, which caused him to rise to the rank of hatamoto.”

Kiyonobu bowed. He shifted nervously as he awaited the matchmakers’ assessment.

2MM Love throughout History, Masters of a field, Earth/Culture TN2 | TN: 2 | Success: 1 / Opportunity: 2 / Strife: 3
Image Image Image
Using 2 Opportunity to appear thoughtful and serious rather than baffled by this question.

2MM Love throughout History, Masters of a field, Earth/Medicine TN2 | TN: 2 | Success: 4 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 3
Image Image Image Image Image
Using 1 Opportunity to impress the matchmakers with how awesome his physician ancestor is

2MM Love throughout History, Masters of a field, Earth/Government TN3 | TN: 3 | Success: 6 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 2
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Using 1 Opportunity to impress the matchmakers with how awesome his magistrate ancestor is

2MM Love throughout History, Masters of a field, Earth/Sentiment TN3 | TN: 3 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 2
Image Image Image

Overall:
3 rolls passed
2 opportunities spent on impressing (2 spent on failing a roll with dignity and gravitas)
5 bonus successes (3 on a single roll)
10 strife (ack)
Dragon Clan ◆ Bushi ◆ Courtier ◆ Yoriki
Average Great Clan samurai ◆ Reputable ◆ Honor is the ideal
carries: jian, wakizashi, calligraphy set
he stares too much ◆ a green tassel with decorative knots hangs from his sword pommel

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:09 pm

"Greetings, Honored Elder." Yoshi bows in greeting as he is ushered in to meet the Shika Pei Pei. He extends out a small satchel. "I thought you might appreciate some tea. I know that you have a long morning ahead of you and plenty of other participants to meet."

The older Deer nods appreciatively, and while the two go through the standard banter of refusal, Yoshi feels that he has made a positive first step.

I suppose that I should start on the hardest part first

"My father does not have a lineage of renown. He was accepted into the Tortoise Clan as a ronin, and the circumstances of his birth remain a mystery to him" It was a brutal first blow, and he can imagine the distaste in the woman but there was no hiding it here, only to hope that the rest would outweigh it. It seems that his honesty would act as at least some mitigation. He goes into his mother's history, that her ancestor had been a right hand to the Tortoise Kizoku, but he could see the damage was done.
___
Stage one - Offer Gift
Offer gift to Shika Pei Pei, Courtesy/Water (To Invoke Well of Desire Shuji) | TN: 2 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 2
Image Image Image

___
Stage 2 - Miai Event

Love throughout History-Option #1-TN 4 (reduced to 3 by using Well of Desire Tsuji)-Earth/Courtesy | TN: 3 | Success: 0 / Opportunity: 2 / Strife: 0
Image Image Failure - 2 Opportunity banked

Miai Event-Love Throught History-Option 1-TN 3- Earth/Courtest | TN: 3 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 2 / Strife: 1
Image Image Image Fail - 2 opportunity banked

Love throughout History-Option #1-TN 2 Earth/Courtesy | TN: 2 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 1
Image Image Pass

Love throughout History-Option #1-TN 1 Earth/Courtesy | TN: 1 | Success: 1 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 1
Image Image Pass, 1 opportunity banked

Passed rolls: 2/4
Opportunity to show off: 5
Bonus successes: 1
Last edited by Kasuga Yoshi on Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tortoise Clan | Honor: 25 | Glory: 27| Status: 25 | Male | Diplomat | Groomed | Generous | Strife with Mantis
Equipment (standard): Traveling clothes, wakizashi, calligraphy set, knife, kiseru, abacus or gaijin compass, travelling pack, pouch of gaijin coins
(Battle): Tetsubo

"It's an absolute pleasure to see you again. Here, please take this gift. I insist"
Theme Song: Smooth Criminal (Shamisen Style!)

Nekoma Jae

Post by Nekoma Jae » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:21 pm

"Good morning, Shika-sama."

Jae was trying to be formal and polite, but ever since first entering Pei-Pei has felt hard to read. It didn't help that she got the feeling that the woman already knew so much about her before they even formally met, and meanwhile Jae was going into this with no knowledge of the woman she was about the speak with. The heirlooms and gifts were on display, likely some part sentimental and some part a sign of Pei-Pei's efficacy, a way to show how long she had been doing this and that she was capable enough to be gifted such things in return for her service. Amiable... but formidable.

Jae started out fairly strong, she felt, talking about the variety of the Cat Clan's ancestry, oral storytelling, theater, dance, music, she was trying to select people that really showed a good variety of how broad in scope the clan was when they were simply referred to as 'performers'. Things got a bit muddied later on in the conversation though.

As she was speaking about her family, something about the way Jae referred to her ancestors... well it was hard to tell, Pei-Pei was never impolite, but the slightest quirk of her brow and shift in her expression seemed to convey.. something. It seemed to disappear as soon as it had come, to the point that Jae wasn't sure if she had imagined it. She had to know though, right? Pei-Pei had said that they had done extensive research and that nothing was going to be a surprise to her, so... she must. Jae fumbled as she tried to keep calm and focus, not considering what Pei-Pei was thinking of her. She managed to swing it back a little bit to the end, though it likely wasn't enough to really impress.

-------------------

D2 Love Throughout History Option 1, TN1, Earth/Performance, Adversity | TN: 1 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 0
Image Image Image

Love Throughout History Option 1, TN2, Earth/Performance, Adversity | TN: 2 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 2
Image Image Image

Love Throughout History Option 1, TN3, Earth/Performance, Adversity | TN: 3 | Success: 0 / Opportunity: 2 / Strife: 0
Image Image

Love Throughout History Option 1, TN4, Earth/Performance, Adversity | TN: 4 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 1
Image Image

Ranking assistance:
2 rolls passed
4 opportunities used to show off
1 total bonus success
1 highest total bonus success on a single roll
25 Status
35 Glory
30 Honor
Last edited by Nekoma Jae on Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat Clan • Female • Courtier • Probably Harmless
Honor: 30 • Glory: 35 • Status: 25 • Courtship Points: 0
Wears: Common Clothes, furred white hat, wakizashi, shakuhachi

Moshi Shizuka

Post by Moshi Shizuka » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:02 am

"Good morning, Shika-sama. I hope the morning's light finds you well."

Shizuka looked prepared, ready, composed.

"I understand you would like to hear about my ancestors. Well, I think a good starting point would be the woman whose name I took. She was a priestess who contributed to the founding of my family's shrine but was best known for her talent at music, a talent the women in my family continue on."

But, damn it all, she wasn't exactly known for being the most considered with her thoughts - or words. She acted and said what was on her mind and sorted it out afterwards.

Not exactly helpful at this time.

"Now, she wasn't exactly born to samurai parents..."

And among many of Shizuka's flaws was not knowing when to...

"...and was kind of reputed to have been headstrong and not exactly living up to her name, if you know what I mean..."

Stop.

"But people always said things like that, like how she was a woman of pleasure. People say a lot of things, right? So, anyway, my other ancestors..."

------

Love Throughout History Option 1, TN1, Earth/Performance | TN: 1 | Success: 1 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 0

Love Throughout History Option 1, TN2, Earth/Performance | TN: 2 | Success: 1 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 1

Love Throughout History Option 1, TN3, Earth/Performance | TN: 3 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 1
Image Image

Love Throughout History Option 1, TN4, Earth/Performance | TN: 4 | Success: 1 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 0

Ranking assistance:
1 rolls passed
1 opportunities used to show off
0 total bonus success
0 highest total bonus success on a single roll
30 Status
45 Glory
60 Honor
Centipede Clan • Shugenja • Sun Priestess • Hot-blooded
Honor: 60 | Glory: 45 | Status: 30
Carries: Wakizashi, kiseru, oil-paper umbrella, scroll satchel

"As long as you shine brightly, people around you will follow!"

Kitsuki Edogawa

Post by Kitsuki Edogawa » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:20 am

"Kitsuki Kugoro, my great great grandfather stands out in my mind. He traveled the Empire observing the subtle differences in its people from one region to the next. He studied traditions, music, folktales, food and more. His favorite, however was games. There is so much that can be learned about people, by watching how they play a game."

"My father's grandmother, Agasha Ayumi, was very skilled in medicine. She isolated a mountain plant that that was quite effective in combating stillwater fever.

"Kitsuki Sora was a magistrate...." Edogawa faltered, struggling to remember the details of his grandfather's grandfather. He quickly recovered, however as he spoke of his maternal grandmother, Mirumoto Miwako and her Interrogation techniques.

Day 2, MM, Event, Masters of the Field, Scholar, Earth/Culture, TN 2 | TN: 2 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 1
Image Image Image

Day 2, MM, Event, Masters of the Field, Scholar, Earth/Medicine, TN 2 | TN: 2 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 1
Image Image Image

Day 2, MM, Event, Masters of the Field, Scholar, Earth/Government, TN 3 | TN: 3 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 2
Image Image Image

Day 2, MM, Event, Masters of the Field, Scholar, Earth/Sentiment, TN 3 | TN: 3 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 2 / Strife: 3

Rolls passed: 3
Opportunities used to show off: 2
Total bonus successes: 2
Total bonus successes on a single roll: 1
Glory: 52
Honor: 55
Last edited by Kitsuki Edogawa on Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Clan 🐉 Investigator 🐉 Courtier 🐉 Bushi 🐉 Gamer 🐉 Curious 🐉 Softhearted 🐉 Observant 🐉 Wise 🐉 Doom Whispered
Honor: 54 | Glory: 51 | Status: 30

Carries: Ceremonial Clothes, Wakizashi, Knife, Yo-Yo, Journal

Bayushi Luixian

Post by Bayushi Luixian » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:06 am

Luixian wasn't sure why she was here. She had no need to show off to the people here yet here she was. She showed them how bad she was. Other than with her quick draw of her sword she had performed underwhelmingly. Yet she didn't appear to have anything other than a pleased air when finished with the showcase or lack thereof. Now maybe those here would see she was well rounded enough to be married off and leave her alone.

(If possible: using the opportunities to look as though she didn't full apply herself rather than just failed due to lack of skill.)

Stars across the Empire. First roll Melee/Earth (Martial) TN 3 | TN: 3 | Success: 4 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 2
Image Image Image Image

Stars across the Empire. Second roll. Skulduggery/Earth. (Trade) | TN: 3 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 2 / Strife: 1
Image Image Image Image

Stars across the Empire. Third roll. Courtesy/Earth. (Social) | TN: 3 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 2
Image Image Image

Stars across the Empire. Fourth Roll. Design/Earth. (Artisan) | TN: 3 | Success: 1 / Opportunity: 2 / Strife: 2
Image Image Image

Ranking assistance:
1 roll passed
5 opportunities used to show off
1 total bonus success
1 highest total bonus success on a single roll
45 Status
44 Glory
40 Honor
Scorpion ~ Bushi ~ Blunt ~ Large Stature ~ Blessed Lineage ~ Pet Quail ~ Kitsu Heritage
Glory: 44 ~ Honor: 40 ~ Status: 45
Has: Oni mask, Daisho, Pet Quail,
Wishes she could wear: Lacquered armor, Otsuchi
Profile/Description

Kuni Yasu

Post by Kuni Yasu » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:34 am

Again, Yasu has taken extra care with her protective paint, has wound her favorite ribbon through her long, long braid and pinned it in elaborate, and somewhat impractical, loops that frame her face. Her nicest outfit from home has most of the creases from travel pressed out now, the dark grey kimono catches the light, causing the lighter gray wave pattern woven into the fabric to ripple and shimmer, even if it's not the shine of silk. Deep blue irises are embroidered along the hem and the edge of the hanging sleeves, tiny, dark red crabs here and there among the stems.

She manages the bows and greetings reasonably well, but this isn't at all the kind of questioning she expected. Perhaps they hope to learn which ancestors she paid attention to as a hint to what she and her family found important? So Yasu takes a moment to organize her thoughts and dives into the many research accomplishments of her family, from important advances in stabilizing cracked skulls and other bones on the battlefield to figuring out just how this fascinating structure on monstrosities that looked like mere stones were able to latch on to people and animals to both hitch a ride and ...umm...we won't talk about what they eat, because that would be bad.

Catching herself a few times before diving into standard Kuni research conference mode, Yasu definitely feels her nerves fraying as this shriveled prune of a woman, who's probably never watched a loved one drink their morning dose of jade petal tea, or so politely hid her distaste behind a cup of...actually it was a rather lovely jasmine tea.

But that wasn't the point! The questions kept probing. Why did she care so much about the details of researchers whose research was apparently objectionable? What was she looking for if they already *had* all this research? Worried that this creature could somehow work out actual secrets from the hints and tangents in the lives of her forbears, Yasu became evasive, vague. For example, she wouldn't mention the insights Kuni Kuromachi found in his favorite sake lest they realize the powerful elixirs stored in bottles labeled with that sake's stamp in her ancestral storerooms were actually some of his best medicinal concoctions, held back for extreme cases.

Yasu managed to hold it together, barely, only staring cooly over her own tea as Pei Pei nodded some sort of end to the questioning. She pointedly finished her tea slowly, watching the matchmaker, before bowing to leave.

The tea really was too good to waste.

D2 MM Love Throughout History. Earth/Medicine: Focus TN 1 | TN: 1 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 1
Image Image Image

1 success 2 bonus successes 1 strife (6/10) Void 2

D2 MM Love Throughout History. Earth/Medicine: Focus TN 2 | TN: 2 | Success: 1 / Opportunity: 2 / Strife: 0
Image Image Image

0 success 2 opportunity to show off Strife 6/10 Void 2

D2 MM Love Throughout History. Earth/Medicine: Focus TN 3 | TN: 3 | Success: 4 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 1
Image Image Image Image

1 success 1 bonus success 1 opportunity to show off 1 strife (7/10) Void 1

D2 MM Love Throughout History. Earth/Medicine: Focus TN 4 | TN: 4 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 2 / Strife: 3

0 success 2 opportunity to show off 3 strife 10/10 Void 0

Totals
2 rolls passed
5 opportunities used to show off
3 bonus successes
2 bonus successes on a single roll.
30 Status.
43 Glory.
35 Honor
Crab * Purifier * Big Lady * Face Paint * Excellent Bloodlines * Unwealthy * Friendly
Honor is the Ideal * Glory: Unremarkable Retainer * Status: 30 * CP: 16

Commonly worn: Clothes!; wakizashi with crab tsuba; small knife; scroll satchel--tied closed with blue & brown kumihimo braid and dangling apricot pit netsuke; elaborately woven ribbon tying up her hair; a jade necklace carved into a Badger head, carved wooden charms of crab and moth looped around a wrist with lavender ribbon.

Description

Susaki Tanabe

Post by Susaki Tanabe » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:45 am

Fluff incoming in the morning

------------------------------
D2 event roll masters of survival survival Earth tn 1 | TN: 1 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 0 Image Image Image

D2 masters of survival survival/earth tn 2 | TN: 2 | Success: 2 / Opportunity: 2 / Strife: 1 Image Image Image Image

D2 event Masters of survival survival Earth tn 3 | TN: 3 | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 2 Image Image Image

D2 event Masters of survival survival/earth tn 4 void | TN: 4 | Success: 4 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 2 Image Image Image Image Image Image

4 rolls passed
1 bonus
3 opportunity for flair
Otter Clan * sumai * large * yojimbo * loud * musician?
Honor: 49 Glory: 35 Status: 22 CP: 26
Carries: travelling clothes, daisho, a jade braclet
When allowed: ashigaru armor, tekken.