Rocking yams (D1 MM)

Home to feasts, the Deer clan's winter court, and an ad-hoc art gallery
Suzume Senseki

Rocking yams (D1 MM)

Post by Suzume Senseki » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:14 am

Senseki felt quite a bit out of his element in the Great Hall with the variety of beautiful - and apparently valuable - pieces of artwork displayed in different parts of it. Looking at the other guests, the Sparrow can practically feel how his kimono seems simple and uninteresting in comparison to those worn by the others in the room. He keeps stone-silent, looking at the others, the tapestries and the ikebana arrangements. The combination isn't lost on him, the lessons on the deeper meanings of art he learnt as his mother and his mother's mother talked about her mother's accomplishments coming back to his mind. Whether due to that realisation, or simply out of habit, a pleasant smile adorned his face even while it kept observing all around.

When the time came for him to present his gift, he produced a miniature sand garden, with deep-white sand, a variety of rocks found in the Sparrow hills, arranged in a careful and beautiful order that, when carefully looked at, seemed to suggest the locations of Kyuden Shika, Kyuden Suzume, Kyuden Kitsune, Kyuden Usagi and Kyuden Ashinagabashi in lighter, almost white stones, and a general outline of mountains and hills close to the Rokugani coast in a variety of darker stones. In a square socket to the side, a single miniature tree - almost a sapling. The leaves were still young and light green, but it looked healthy and well-cared for. A promise of something that might flower in the future.

One knowledgeable in plants would notice it was not a plant known for its flowers, though, but for its roots. It was, in fact, a yam - a crop the Sparrow were known for... and often made fun of due to its simplicity and blandness.

"Shika-ue", the Sparrow said as he approached and dropped to a full seiza. "I would like to offer this humble gift as a token of my people's thanks for your generous offer to receive me here in Kyuden Shika. It is my hope and that of my people that you may find some beauty and interest in it, despite its simplicity."
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Shika Renji

Re: Rocking yams (D1 MM)

Post by Shika Renji » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:48 am

Renji bowed and looked over the sand garden. Quite a bit of attention had been detailed....and then he got to the yam. This caused a small smile. The the smile of mocking the Sparrow about yams, but the smile of being in on the joke.

"Ah, you've done quite a beautiful job integrating your homeland into this piece, Suzume-san. The greenery is an extra special touch. The yam, though humble is quite tenacious. If left unchecked, it would overrun the entire garden." he says, appreciating the symbolism.

He shakes his head.

"I fear we may not be able to tend to such a display properly, Suzume-san. I would not wish to see your garden overrun." he says, giving the first refusal.
Deer Clan Champion * Lord of Kyuden Shika * The White Deer * Elegant

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:59 pm

Shika Renji wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:48 am
Renji bowed and looked over the sand garden. Quite a bit of attention had been detailed....and then he got to the yam. This caused a small smile. The the smile of mocking the Sparrow about yams, but the smile of being in on the joke.

"Ah, you've done quite a beautiful job integrating your homeland into this piece, Suzume-san. The greenery is an extra special touch. The yam, though humble is quite tenacious. If left unchecked, it would overrun the entire garden." he says, appreciating the symbolism.

He shakes his head.

"I fear we may not be able to tend to such a display properly, Suzume-san. I would not wish to see your garden overrun." he says, giving the first refusal.
With a respectful nod and a glad smile readable only on his eyes, the Sparrow makes the second offer.

"I'm honoured by your words, Shika-ue... and I would not want to give your people undue work. But tenacious as it may be, as Shika-ue said, the yam is also humble and doesn't want for much. A thought spared for its companionship once or twice a week, and the garden will be ever happy, glad to keep you company when you need or want it."
Sparrow Clan * Woodsman * Herbalist * Wicker hat * Disheveled hair * Clothes never fully clean
Not a penny to his name * A simple life is a good life * Life is sacred * The truth is always simple

Carries: Common clothes, Wicker hat, Daisho, Knife, Sling, Daisho (as allowed), Medicine Kit, Pillow books.
In the field: Ashigaru armour, Wicker hat, Daisho, Sling, Knife, Bo, Hunting Yari, Travelling pack, Rations, Pillow books.

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:17 pm

Renji nods.

"It is true, there are many good quality of the yam." he agreed.

He still shook his head though.

"However, would this not be a better gift for your future spouse? So you might show them the finer qualities of the yam before they see them in the wild?" he says, giving the second refusal.

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:46 pm

Shika Renji wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:17 pm
Renji nods.

"It is true, there are many good quality of the yam." he agreed.

He still shook his head though.

"However, would this not be a better gift for your future spouse? So you might show them the finer qualities of the yam before they see them in the wild?" he says, giving the second refusal.
A slight shake of Senseki's head, the gentle smile still showing through his eyes. "Oh, this one may expect too much, but with the Deer's valuable guidance I allow myself to hope a future spouse will understand the yam's qualities in garden or woods", he says. Then, with a gentle, careful nod, he adds. "But more importantly... this humble arrangement would be much happier to see many happy couples than only one, so I believe it will find its rightful place in your home, Shika-ue."

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:49 pm

Renji bowed.

"I will accept this gift then, Suzume-san, in the hopes of a happy arrangement for you, and for those who follow you." he said accepting the gift.

(Suzume Senseki gains 1 Courtship point, 1 Glory, and 1 Honor!)

Suzume Senseki

Post by Suzume Senseki » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:58 pm

Shika Renji wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:49 pm
Renji bowed.

"I will accept this gift then, Suzume-san, in the hopes of a happy arrangement for you, and for those who follow you." he said accepting the gift.

(Suzume Senseki gains 1 Courtship point, 1 Glory, and 1 Honor!)
"Thank you kindly for your time, Shika-ue. I look forward to your people's guidance during these weeks in your beautiful lands", Senseki says, bowing deeply again before asking permission to return from the dais.

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:03 pm

Which was granted to swiftly make room for yet another petitioner.
Non-Human * Gamemaster * Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy * Mastermind