(D1, MM) Gift Giving (Kiyonobu)

Home to feasts, the Deer clan's winter court, and an ad-hoc art gallery
Kitsuki Kiyonobu

(D1, MM) Gift Giving (Kiyonobu)

Post by Kitsuki Kiyonobu » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:09 pm

Kitsuki Kiyonobu bowed low after being announced.

“This one is most grateful for Lord Shika’s hospitality and his assistance in making suitable arrangements for this one’s future,” the Kitsuki said formally. “This one hopes that you might accept this small token of gratitude.”

He presented a hardwood box, its lid carved with frolicking deer. The Dragon lifted the lid to show that within the box was a brush, an ink stone, and a number of sheets of fine paper, strong yet thin enough you very nearly could see through them.

-
[ooc: a calligraphy set]
Dragon Clan ◆ Bushi ◆ Courtier ◆ Yoriki
Average Great Clan samurai ◆ Reputable ◆ Honor is the ideal
carries: jian, wakizashi, calligraphy set
he stares too much ◆ a green tassel with decorative knots hangs from his sword pommel

Shika Renji

Re: (D1, MM) Gift Giving (Kiyonobu)

Post by Shika Renji » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:34 am

Another humble presentation. Not as humble as a red ribbon from the Crane, but humble nonetheless.

Renji bowed and considered the offer.

"Hosting you is a pleasure for my clan, Kitsuki-san. It is a lovely calligraphy set, but I can't help but think it would be better suited for composing the many letters that Kitsuki-san will surely write to inform people of his excellent match. I would not wish to deny him that opportunity." he said, giving the first refusal.
Deer Clan Champion * Lord of Kyuden Shika * The White Deer * Elegant

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Kitsuki Kiyonobu

Post by Kitsuki Kiyonobu » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:30 pm

"It is a kind thought, Lord Shika, and I am certain to be overjoyed by the match to come," Kiyonobu said politely. "But, no doubt the matchmakers in your service shall have cause to write many letters of their own. And, observe the leaping deer carved on the box - a sign that it would be more proper for it to belong to you and your family."
he stares too much ◆ a green tassel with decorative knots hangs from his sword pommel

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:45 pm

Internally, Renji was disappointed in that offer. It wasn't like the Deer clan needed to own every depiction of deer in existence....if only the Dragon had talked more about the artist or the symbolism. Still the ritual had to continue.

"Ah, but the gift is so much more than that, Kitsuki-san. The blank paper within holds limitless possibilities until the ink is applied. Were you to keep it, perhaps some day you could write of the birth of your children, and the carved deer depicted would watch over you just as our clan is watching over your match. I would hate to deprive you of such." he says, giving the second refusal.

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Kitsuki Kiyonobu

Post by Kitsuki Kiyonobu » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:52 pm

“A blank sheet of paper indeed has great potential,” Kiyonobu agreed. “This paper started its life as young mulberry stems, harvested from the wooded hills of Toshibu province and pounded very thin, before being cut into sheets and carried five hundred li to your beautiful palace. The paper has come this far because it wants to be written on.”

“I hope I might entrust Lord Shika with this paper, that you might help realize its full potential,” the Kitsuki said, bowing and offering the gift once more. “Just as I entrust my own future to you and your matchmakers.”

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:52 pm

Renji smiled.

"Very well then, Kitsuki-san. I would be honored to accept this gift, and look forward to writing of your happy match on the pages within." he said, accepting the gift.

(Kitsuki Kiyonobu gains 1 courtship point, 1 Glory, and 1 Honor)