(D1, MM) A Gift From The Scorpion

Home to feasts, the Deer clan's winter court, and an ad-hoc art gallery
Bayushi Mitsu

(D1, MM) A Gift From The Scorpion

Post by Bayushi Mitsu » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:18 pm

Arrayed in grey silks matching the dreary day, with edging and details in blood red, Bayushi Mitsu approached the lord of Kyuden Shika. With a graceful bow, the Scorpion introduced himself. Rising, he held forth an elegantly simple wooden scrollcase with both hands.

"Shika-sama, thank you for welcoming and hosting me in your home. My mother, Lady Bayushi Nioko of Otosan Uchi, also wishes to convey her regards. Please accept this gift of a scroll nearly lost to time, showcasing the ancient artistry of the Crane, as well as a portion of their family lines. It is but a small reflection of your hospitality." The fully-masked visage regarded the Shika lord calmly.

[Can I make a check to make a good impression? Looks like maybe Couresty (Water)?]
Scorpion Clan ❖ Retainer
Glory: 46 ❖ Honor: 30 ❖ Status: 35
Carries: fine clothing, deep burgundy full face mask with gold trim, dark steel daisho with burgundy wrappings
“Right isn’t always right.”

Shika Renji

Re: (D1, MM) A Gift From The Scorpion

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:32 pm

Bayushi Mitsu wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:18 pm
Arrayed in grey silks matching the dreary day, with edging and details in blood red, Bayushi Mitsu approached the lord of Kyuden Shika. With a graceful bow, the Scorpion introduced himself. Rising, he held forth an elegantly simple wooden scrollcase with both hands.

"Shika-sama, thank you for welcoming and hosting me in your home. My mother, Lady Bayushi Nioko of Otosan Uchi, also wishes to convey her regards. Please accept this gift of a scroll nearly lost to time, showcasing the ancient artistry of the Crane, as well as a portion of their family lines. It is but a small reflection of your hospitality." The fully-masked visage regarded the Shika lord calmly.

[Can I make a check to make a good impression? Looks like maybe Couresty (Water)?]
(No check's necessary for this event, it's pure roleplay. Don't worry, events with rolls start tomorrow.)

Renji bowed to the Scorpion, considering the scroll.

"And it would please me for you to give kind regards to your mother on my behalf when next you speak to her Bayushi-san." he replied.

"The gift is both lovely and thoughtful. More than just as a gift, but as a preservation of ancient records. We all honor our ancestors in living memory as best we are able, but still written records help maintain the memory when living memory ceases." he reflects.

Renji considers but shakes his head.

"But I cannot help but think that this present could serve Bayushi-san better in his dealings with the Crane. I'm sure there is a descendent from this scroll who could give Bayushi-san far more gratitude for it's return. So perhaps it would be better to simply accept the pleasure of Bayushi-san's company as sufficient for the simple act of hosting." he says, giving the first refusal.
Deer Clan Champion * Lord of Kyuden Shika * The White Deer * Elegant

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Bayushi Mitsu

Post by Bayushi Mitsu » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:18 am

Shika Renji wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:32 pm
Renji considers but shakes his head.

"But I cannot help but think that this present could serve Bayushi-san better in his dealings with the Crane. I'm sure there is a descendent from this scroll who could give Bayushi-san far more gratitude for it's return. So perhaps it would be better to simply accept the pleasure of Bayushi-san's company as sufficient for the simple act of hosting." he says, giving the first refusal.
"Company and conversation can be a great gift, certainly. And Shika-sama does wisely observe that this scroll would make a good gift to the Crane." Bayushi lowered the scroll case for a moment, tilting his head just slightly.

"However," the Scorpion, went on, raising the scroll case again, "in researching this scroll I noted that it details many familial ties between the Crane and the Unicorn from long ago. This reminded me of the match-making that Shika-sama is renowned for, and so I must ask Shika-sama to reconsider this humble gift."
Scorpion Clan ❖ Retainer
Carries: fine clothing, deep burgundy full face mask with gold trim, dark steel daisho with burgundy wrappings

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:28 am

There was a slight raising of eyebrows at the revelation. Renji was definitely interested, but protocal demanded another refusal.

"Ah, Bayushi-san is very kind in his praise of my clan's matchmaking skills. But it is not something we alone are the practioners of. If not the Crane, perhaps the Otomo family would a better recipient of this gift, to make sure that the match neither favors the Crane nor the Unicorn too much." he suggests refusing the gift a second time.

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Bayushi Mitsu

Post by Bayushi Mitsu » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:39 pm

Shika Renji wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:28 am
"Ah, Bayushi-san is very kind in his praise of my clan's matchmaking skills. But it is not something we alone are the practioners of. If not the Crane, perhaps the Otomo family would a better recipient of this gift, to make sure that the match neither favors the Crane nor the Unicorn too much." he suggests refusing the gift a second time.
Bayushi lowered the scroll case again. "Shika-sama speaks the truth. This scroll would make a fine gift for the Otomo. However, my careful investigation of the lineages described in this scroll revealed that one of the Crane listed therein is an ancestor of Shika-sama. Knowing this, it would be impossible for me to gift the scroll to someone else while thinking of Shika-sama."

With a flourish, Bayushi Mitsu bowed a bit lower and held the scroll case forth. "Humbly, I beg Shika-sama to reconsider and accept this gift."
Scorpion Clan ❖ Retainer

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:43 pm

Renji bowed.

"Then in the name of my ancestor, I shall accept this gift, Bayushi-san." Renji said accepting the gift. "May your ancestors look favorably upon your match made here at Kyuden Shika.

(Bayushi Mitsu gains 1 Courtship point, 1 Glory, & 1 Honor)