[D1MM] A gift of hair

Home to feasts, the Deer clan's winter court, and an ad-hoc art gallery
Moto Mitsuki

[D1MM] A gift of hair

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:44 pm

Wearing the traditional ceremonial garb of her family, a hat falling down to the waist in a cascade of pearls with a matching dress, her usual make-up slightly lighter on the black to match better with the canon of court except for the lips that she kept as dark as the night, Mitsuki advanced toward the champion, unwrapped the piece of linen that was protecting her present and bowed.

In her hands, atop the small cloth, waited a weary tassel of red-dyed horsehair.

"The Heart of the Wind.

Far to the west, in the middle of the lands known as the Burning Sands, there's a small village renowned for the extraordinary quality of the polearms it produces. They're nicknamed the Spears of the Wind, and indeed they strike as the wind in the hands of the trained rider.

Like all good weapons, they're a whole, each part carefully thought out and crafted to bring the best out of all the others. The tassel is no exception, way more than a simple ornament, its design as distinctive as the rest of the spear.

For a tassel to be on its own means the spear formerly holding has been broken. That the warrior who used to own it has been defeated in battle. And thus, they can only be acquired as trophies or as gifts.

This one I earned at the battle under the walls of Terelj Hasar, and it has been awaiting its new home since. Today it has found it."

---

About all of Mitsuki's (dis)advantages could be relevant depending of the point of view, so I'll suppose they all cancel each other out for simplicity sake as of now.
Ceremonial Clothes [Ceremonial/Resplendent] if relevant (but I guess everyone wears some or close enough so probably not).
Unicorn Clan | Bushi | Cavalry | Commander | Goth | Barbarian
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).
Famously Reliable/Gaijin Culture/Omen of Bad Luck

Shika Renji

Re: [D1MM] A gift of hair

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:11 pm

Renji bowed, and examined the tassel with a critical eye.

"It is an interesting offer you make to me, Moto-san, a symbol of a victory for you as a warrior. It is often spoken of how court is it's own battlefield, but I cannot think of an equivalent tradition for captured symbols of victory. Your courtly rival's cap seems a poor proxy." he mused to his own amusement.

"Ah, but surely such an intimate symbol of Moto-san's past would be better given to her future partner, to deepen their understanding of Moto-san. It would be wrong of me to deny them that opportunity." he says, giving the first refusal.
Deer Clan Champion * Lord of Kyuden Shika * The White Deer * Elegant

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:37 pm

"Had the circumstances been different it might indeed have been a fine wedding gift. But the warrior who waits for the perfect target will never fire a single arrow, while the one who shoots when the moment is right will eventually win the battle. Fortune has brought the emblem of the quickest spears of the west into the home of the swiftest spearpeople of the east, who am I to deny the signs that the moment is right?"
Honor: 31 (Honor is the Ideal) | Glory: 47* (Reputable Samurai) | Status: 30 (average Great Clan samurai) | Profile
Usually dressed in white and black. Gaijin-style "daisho" (scimitar, buckler, wakizashi).

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:47 pm

Moto Mitsuki wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:37 pm
"Had the circumstances been different it might indeed have been a fine wedding gift. But the warrior who waits for the perfect target will never fire a single arrow, while the one who shoots when the moment is right will eventually win the battle. Fortune has brought the emblem of the quickest spears of the west into the home of the swiftest spearpeople of the east, who am I to deny the signs that the moment is right?"
Renji nods.

"Moto-san has a commendable way with words, she provides an excellent example of what a warrior-poet should be." he offered with sincere praise.

He shook his head.

"However, the gift of your presence is more than enough for the humble act of hosting you. I should not accept such a noble gift on top of that." he said, giving the second refusal.

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Moto Mitsuki

Post by Moto Mitsuki » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:09 pm

"While your current myself might be satisfied, behind each samurai stand hundred of their ancestors that also should be thanked with an appropriate offering. Can one refuse the first cup of sake, the one that will be poured in honor of whose who made us what we are today?

These ties to those who were there before us can be found everywhere in us and around us, in our names, our demeanor, our clothes, our weapons. But they're rarely as purely symbolized as with a memento of war, brought back by those who lived to remember whose who passed."

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:18 pm

Renji nodded.

"A very spiritual reply, Moto-san." Renji replied. "It is in such a spirit that i will gladly accept your offering to satisfy both of our ancestors."

Renji accepted the gift, and gave the Unicorn another bow.

(Moto Mitsuki gains 1 courtship point, 1 Glory, & 1 Honor!)