D1 MM - A gift from the Lion (Game on thread)

Home to feasts, the Deer clan's winter court, and an ad-hoc art gallery
Kitsu Moshumaru

D1 MM - A gift from the Lion (Game on thread)

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:39 pm

With the serenity and gravitas of a funeral rite, the Kitsu stands before the Shika daimyo, giving a knowing and friendly smile to Katsuteru before offering a deep bow to the Shika daimyo slightly further away than necessary.

"Lord Shika-Dono, this one is Kitsu Moshumaru. I am both humbled and honoured by your invitation, which I am most grateful to accept. I will endeavour to prove myself worthy of both your time and this oppurtunity to honour us both."

Capitalizing on his previous distance, the Kitsu takes a single stride forward, revealing a small, box-like shape covered in red silk as he does so. He has now placed himself in the ideal range for conversation and gift giving, as tradition dictates.

"While it is my first miai on these esteemed grounds, it is not my family's; One Kitsu Akihime, gifted Medium and Go enthusiast, came to these halls but a generation ago. Her match to one Daidoji Teru has been an unmitigated success, and given fruit to such family and goodwill that she wished to pass on her best wishes to you, Shika-dono. Kitsu Akihime was my aunt, and was overjoyed to hear one of her kin were allowed to grace these halls once again."

Kneeling, the Kitsu unveils his gift in deep red silk, holding up the gift to present it with his head bent down in reverence.

"It is with this in mind that I would like to gift you this Go board, crafted by my aunt's hands just before her own miai here - a manifestation of her goodwill and best wishes towards you."

The board itself is ornate, with two defining features - every odd square has the markings of a sakura petal upon them, making it almost seem like you are playing on the spring itself. The second is the kanji for love carved into each corner. The board is a nine-by-nine board - one designed for short, intimate games.

The entire process, perhaps fittingly of one so associated with death, is performed with the seriousness and sincerity of the grave.
Lion Clan - HGS: 51/41/35 - Kitsu Red Hair, Missing fingers
"Mark my words, your descendants will remember you."
Gift giving ritual: Feel free to skip due to timezones
Ideal Lewdness level: Ftb, raunchy/lewd is fine
PM if thread desired

Shika Renji

Re: D1 MM - A gift from the Lion (Game on thread)

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:02 pm

Renji matches solemnity with solemnity, as he bows and inspects the game board.

"Ah, it is pleasing to have the relative of Kitsu Akihime enter these halls and to hear that her match with Daidoji Teru has been a fruitful one. The story of those two playing go during the miai and their bond deepening as they played has become one of the many stories of successful matchmaking that are a treasured part of Kyuden Shika's history." he returned.

"And truly, her craftsmanship is to be commended, it is an excellent piece. But surely, she meant for you to be the recipient of this gift Kitsu-san, so you might find your own Teru within these halls. I could not accept this gift, denying you that opportunity." he said, giving first refusal.
Deer Clan Champion * Lord of Kyuden Shika * The White Deer * Elegant

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:22 pm

Shika Renji wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:02 pm
"And truly, her craftsmanship is to be commended, it is an excellent piece. But surely, she meant for you to be the recipient of this gift Kitsu-san, so you might find your own Teru within these halls. I could not accept this gift, denying you that opportunity." he said, giving first refusal.
"I believe Akihime-sama would be honoured by your appraisal of her work - I will be sure to pass on your kind words upon my return. That said, it is my sincere belief that you would be a better beneficiary of this work than I ever could be. Often, to follow in your stead, your gift to us is someone like my Aunt's Teru-sama, giving us a gift that can last a lifetime, as some of our esteemed colleagues have mentioned."

In particular, the words of the Kasuga guest came to mind.

"The inverse of this, however, is that we do not return a gift worthy of the spring coordinated for us afterwards - instead, primarily a gift is given as a guest to a host before the first flowers of spring, so to speak. This gift thusly emphasizes both the prior winter and first spring of marriage - I can think of no better recipient than the Lord who guides couples from across our glorious Empire through both." Thus, the first alternative reason was offered.
PM if thread desired

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:53 pm

Renji nods.

"Your grasp of the symbolism is excellent, Kitsu-san, and your reasoning is sound." he agreed.

He shook his head.

"But just as in Go, one must consider more than just the very next move upon the board. Giving this gift in gratitude for our hosting of you now is a solid next move, but it does deny you the chance to teach go to your children upon your aunt's board some dozen moves down the road. Perhaps it would be better to leave the gift for them, rather than take it for myself." Renji gives as a second refusal.

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:55 pm

Shika Renji wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:53 pm
Renji nods.

"Your grasp of the symbolism is excellent, Kitsu-san, and your reasoning is sound." he agreed.

He shook his head.

"But just as in Go, one must consider more than just the very next move upon the board. Giving this gift in gratitude for our hosting of you now is a solid next move, but it does deny you the chance to teach go to your children upon your aunt's board some dozen moves down the road. Perhaps it would be better to leave the gift for them, rather than take it for myself." Renji gives as a second refusal.
Moshumaru bowed his head at Renji's words before raising it to address him.

"I am humbled that you would share such wisdom with me, Shika-dono. I have been given much to think about. If I may, I would like to offer this for consideration: to borrow from Shogi, another game our Empire is fond of, I am but a simple soldier on the board. To sacrifice a king's move in the name of a pawn is not something my honour can allow. I can trust any of my relatives, or indeed any fellow Lion, to care for my kin should I perish. But there is only one relationship between the Shika and the Kitsu. For that purpose, I will sacrifice the future you envision for me to ensure a better one between clan and clan."

The second alternative.
Last edited by Kitsu Moshumaru on Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PM if thread desired

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:01 pm

Renji bowed at that.

"Then I will accept the gift in the spirit of stronger relations between our families, Kitsu-san. We will look forward to seeing how your game plays out over the weeks, hopefully ending in yet another victory for the Lion" he says accepting the gift.

(Moshumaru gains 1 Courtship point, 1 Glory and 1 Honor!)

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:02 pm

Shika Renji wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:01 pm
Renji bowed at that.

"Then I will accept the gift in the spirit of stronger relations between our families, Kitsu-san. We will look forward to seeing how your game plays out over the weeks, hopefully ending in yet another victory for the Lion" he says accepting the gift.

(Moshumaru gains 1 Courtship point, 1 Glory and 1 Honor!)
A final, deep bow to the Deer clan champion.

"I will do my best that such a victory is ours, Shika-dono, rather than just mine. I thank you sincerely for your time."

[/scene?]
PM if thread desired

Saibankan

Post by Saibankan » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:57 pm

/scene!
Non-Human * Gamemaster * Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy * Mastermind