[D1MM] A Vision of Home

Home to feasts, the Deer clan's winter court, and an ad-hoc art gallery
Usogawa Narumi

[D1MM] A Vision of Home

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:11 pm

The humble Otter waited patiently for a lull in the procession of samurai looking to bestow their gifts to the miai host, and eventually made her approach.
She bowed lowly to the Shika, sinking to her knees, placing her scroll on the ground before setting her palms next to it, and resting her forehead upon her hands for a moment before rising.
"Shika-sama, this one comes before you, honoured and humbled to have received her invitation."
She retrieves and slowly unravels the scroll she carried, unveiling an intricate painting depicting the River of Gold (not unlike the paper umbrella she carried the previous day), though the artisanship is markedly more detailed. It's brushstrokes light but careful, dedicated but dreamlike. Drinking from the riverbank are a delicate family of deer.
Narumi dares not raise her gaze just yet, and holds the painting forward for the daimyo's appraisal.
"Having grown up travelling the rivers of Rokugan and being witness to the myriad of cultures and lifestyles she boasts within her reach, I offer to you this painting of the River of Gold, in hopes that its visage might bring with it moments of peace and tranquility which can be found there, for your consideration and as my thanks for this bountiful opportunity, Shika-sama."
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands

Shika Renji

Re: [D1MM] A Vision of Home

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:36 pm

Renji bowed, and considered the offering.

"it is a lovely painting, Usogawa-san, and it is even more precious having having been brought here intact. I could see a river spirit seeking to make it it's own, given how lifelike a representation it truly is." he says.

"But while the mighty river can be captured within the humble paper, I am not so certain that one should capture the paper within the stone of this castle. Would it not be better to be shown among every court that the river touches? After all, your presence at this miai is a gift in and of itself."
Deer Clan Champion * Lord of Kyuden Shika * The White Deer * Elegant

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:44 pm

Here, her gaze finally rises, and she tilts her head to one side as she listens before politely shaking it.
"Shika-sama has the right of it; the river spirits, much like the otter for whom my clan takes its name, are a playful sort and prone to mischief. It was not without challenge to keep the gift safe, but the challenge too makes its presentation to yourself all the more worthwhile.
It would honour this one if Shika-sama would accept, and consider this painting a gift of triumph exulting the river spirits testing of this ones devotion to please her hosts." she offers the painting a second time.

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:01 pm

Usogawa Narumi wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:44 pm
Here, her gaze finally rises, and she tilts her head to one side as she listens before politely shaking it.
"Shika-sama has the right of it; the river spirits, much like the otter for whom my clan takes its name, are a playful sort and prone to mischief. It was not without challenge to keep the gift safe, but the challenge too makes its presentation to yourself all the more worthwhile.
It would honour this one if Shika-sama would accept, and consider this painting a gift of triumph exulting the river spirits testing of this ones devotion to please her hosts." she offers the painting a second time.
"Your presence in my lands are like the river upon a hot day: welcome and refreshing, Usogawa-san." Renji assure her.

"And yet, your marriage could take you far away from the river that has been your home thus far. Would it not be better to keep it within your own household as a cherished reminder of your home and your triumph?" he says, giving the second refusal.

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:11 pm

She inclines her head, before shaking it once more.
"Shika-sama delights, but surely I must insist. I am overflowing with memories of my upbringing on Rokugan's rivers. My esteemed aunt, Usogawa Mochi, has instilled in me that sharing of the river's beauty can only bring joy and light to others, and so I must insist. It is only with the teachings of my aunt that I have come as far as I have, and I would not disappoint her by keeping to myself the beauty of that which I've called home when it can be shared with those who deserve it so. I can take my memories with me and hold them close, no matter where my marriage takes me."

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:05 pm

Renji bowed at that.

"Very well then, I am honored to accept this gift, Usogawa-san. Not only will it delight future guests, but my hope is that someday you will come back to us in the future, see the painting, and be reminded of all your pleasant memories with us you are about to make." he says, accepting the gift.

(Usogawa Narumi earns 1 Courtship point, 1 Glory, & 1 Honor!)