[Day 1, Midmorning] On a Wing and a Prayer

Home to feasts, the Deer clan's winter court, and an ad-hoc art gallery
Shiba Raizo

[Day 1, Midmorning] On a Wing and a Prayer

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:40 am

Oh son of a bitch.

Raizo hated this crap. Hated it from the very depths of his being.

So he approached the champion of the Stag- er, wait, Deer, the Deer Clan with considerable effort to keep the thousand-yard stare off of his face.

"Good morning, Shika-sama. While I was quite surprised to receive this invitation," since it represented a nightmarish intrusion into a life whose path had seemed set, "the gracious hospitality of the Deer Clan has already made my stay a pleasant one."

The guest list, on the other hand, would plague the nightmares of an oni.

"In light of this, I would hope you might appreciate this token of both my gratitude, and that of the Phoenix Clan..."

He removed the cover from the simple bronze prayer wheel he'd carried on his back all the way from the Phoenix provinces, often with wishes that he could just chuck it into a river.

"This prayer wheel is inscribed with a devotional prayer to Benten, Fortune of Love. It has been in my family since it was crafted for the wedding of Daidoji Hinomaru and my ancestor Shiba Makiko some two centuries ago. Given the abundant blessings it brought to that marriage, it seems fitting that I offer it to you, in token of your clan's services in securing my own."
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Shika Renji

Re: [Day 1, Midmorning] On a Wing and a Prayer

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:01 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:40 am
Oh son of a bitch.

Raizo hated this crap. Hated it from the very depths of his being.

So he approached the champion of the Stag- er, wait, Deer, the Deer Clan with considerable effort to keep the thousand-yard stare off of his face.

"Good morning, Shika-sama. While I was quite surprised to receive this invitation," since it represented a nightmarish intrusion into a life whose path had seemed set, "the gracious hospitality of the Deer Clan has already made my stay a pleasant one."

The guest list, on the other hand, would plague the nightmares of an oni.

"In light of this, I would hope you might appreciate this token of both my gratitude, and that of the Phoenix Clan..."

He removed the cover from the simple bronze prayer wheel he'd carried on his back all the way from the Phoenix provinces, often with wishes that he could just chuck it into a river.

"This prayer wheel is inscribed with a devotional prayer to Benten, Fortune of Love. It has been in my family since it was crafted for the wedding of Daidoji Hinomaru and my ancestor Shiba Makiko some two centuries ago. Given the abundant blessings it brought to that marriage, it seems fitting that I offer it to you, in token of your clan's services in securing my own."
There is an almost.....amused glint in Shika's eyes as he returns the bow, and considers the gift.

"Ah, so you have felt the weight of Benten upon your back your every step here, Shiba-san. While it is my hope that my clan can find you a match to alleviate the burden upon your heart, it would seem more fitting were you to continue to carry this reminder of Benten's favor with you into your marriage. I am content that you have made such a show of devotion to Benten, truly no further gift is needed." he says, giving the first refusal.
Deer Clan Champion * Lord of Kyuden Shika * The White Deer * Elegant

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:04 pm

Oh how I despise this fucking custom.

"Ah, but Shika-sama, the Fortunes each have their place and their importance. I am but a soldier in the armies of the Phoenix."

He bowed.

"Surely it would be better-placed with one whose duties would be assisted by the blessings of Benten, and one who has done more to gratify and glorify that Fortune's works."
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 pm

Shiba Raizo wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:04 pm
Oh how I despise this fucking custom.

"Ah, but Shika-sama, the Fortunes each have their place and their importance. I am but a soldier in the armies of the Phoenix."

He bowed.

"Surely it would be better-placed with one whose duties would be assisted by the blessings of Benten, and one who has done more to gratify and glorify that Fortune's works."
Renji nods.

"This is true, Shiba-san. However, to say that a soldier has no need for Benten would make as much sense as saying a courtier had no need for Bishamon. Bishamon gives the courtier the strength to stand up to their foes, even the ones who wield brushes rather than swords, and Benten gives the soldier a reason to come home victorious beyond being ready to fight the next battle. I would not wish to deprive you of your reason to return home safely." he says, giving the second refusal.

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Shika Renji wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 pm
Renji nods.

"This is true, Shiba-san. However, to say that a soldier has no need for Benten would make as much sense as saying a courtier had no need for Bishamon. Bishamon gives the courtier the strength to stand up to their foes, even the ones who wield brushes rather than swords, and Benten gives the soldier a reason to come home victorious beyond being ready to fight the next battle. I would not wish to deprive you of your reason to return home safely." he says, giving the second refusal.

"Ah, but Shika-sama, surely this miai will give me a far more fitting reminder of Benten's blessings in my life. I could not let such good offices go unremarked, and if this small token of my appreciation can serve in such a fashion, then so much the better."

Please take the damn thing.
Remember to Breathe

Shika Renji

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:04 pm

There is a mischievous twinkle in Renji's eyes, as if he's in on a joke with the Phoenix.

"Very well, Shiba-san, I will accept this gift in the spirit in which it is offered. May all the Fortunes bless your stay in Kyuden Shika, and your journey into marriage." he says, accepting the gift.

(Shiba Raizo earns 1 courtship point, 1 Glory, and 1 Honor!)

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:11 pm

He bowed to the Deer Champion, and made his escape.

And he even managed to do it without unseemly haste.
Remember to Breathe