(D1, MM) Formal Welcome (Event Observation)

Home to feasts, the Deer clan's winter court, and an ad-hoc art gallery
Shika Renji

(D1, MM) Formal Welcome (Event Observation)

Post by Shika Renji » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:48 am

Before the assembly of young samurai in the great hall, a small knot of experienced samurai make their way to the head of the hall. They're lead by a very graceful white haired man who seems filled with charm. Behind him one step to his right is a powerfully built scarred man scanning the crowd. Behind him two steps to his left is another strong man with a powerful beard, who had been talking to the woman that is behind the leader's left. She is a serious faced matriarchal figure whose eyes scan the room with consideration. A few steps behind them is a rather annoyed looking Crane limping on a cane.

As the voices die down, the leader addresses the assembly.

"My friends, on behalf of the Deer clan, I offer you our welcome to Kyuden Shika. I am Shika Renji, daimyo and Champion of the Deer clan." he says in a very well cultured voice. "If I can have your attention for but a few moments, I would like to introduce you to some of the samurai of note, so that if there is anything you need, you know who to turn to."

He gestures to the scarred man, "This is Shika Katsuteru. He is the castilian of Kyuden Shika and my karo. Any matters about the castle, or the security thereof, or in the unfortunate event that you need to speak with me and I am sadly unavailable, seek him out."

He moves on to the bearded man, "Another veteran of many a battlefield, Shika Zang is the sensei of the local dojo and will be serving as judge for the more martial events that we have scheduled for your participation while you attend the miai. Any matters of the dojo or those events, seek him out.

He moves on to the stern woman, "For the less martial events, allow me to introduce Shika Pei-Pei. She is a highly skilled artist and matchmaker, and if there is any matter of those events than you need to speak of, I would refer you to her."

He pauses a deliberate moment before turning to the annoyed Crane.

"Ah, and let us not forget Doji Oharu, emerald magistrate. Doji-san is here in the incredibly unlikely event that there is a dispute between members of multiple clans so all parties are guaranteed a fair and impartial outcome."

Renji smiles a bit before going on.

"Thank you my friends for your attention. However, this is a miai, you are here for the first look at your spouse, not your first look at a group of happily married adults. Please, take this time to meet with your fellow samurai, and again welcome to Kyuden Shika. We look forward to helping you on this once in a lifetime journey towards matrimony."

With that, the small band of samurai disperse among the room somewhat. Renji moves to talk with some of the guests and receive gifts. Katsuteru keeps a close eye on those who approach the daimyo. Far enough away to be polite, near enough to tackle a foe. Zang and Pei-Pei move to the refreshments provided, Pei-Pei receiving tea, and Zang sake. Oharu, for his part, does not move instead watching the affairs with an interested gaze.
Deer Clan Champion * Lord of Kyuden Shika * The White Deer * Elegant

"The Unicorn and the Crane must come together if we are to restore balance to the Empire."

Kakita Sakura

Re: (D1, MM) Formal Welcome (Event Observation)

Post by Kakita Sakura » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:57 am

Once she's done presenting her gift to Shiken-dono, Sakura moves away from the Daimyo- and, after some discussions with her aide, Nanami, makes her way- guided by the peasant- towards Shika Zang, bowing as she approaches the man. “Good morning, Shika-sensei. Have you had rice today?”

(Sakura's using sensei in the general term of respect for a sensei)
Clan: Crane
Honour: 64
Glory: 53
Wears a blue, patterned blindfold at all times.
Is blind- she either uses a cane to tap her way around, or is accompanied by her maid, one Nanami. Generally wears clothing in the form of kimono and hakama, although they're always finely patterned.

Kaikoga Koi

Post by Kaikoga Koi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:29 am

Koi stood still in a comfortable position in the Great Hall, her presentation specifically chosen to accentuate her already beautiful appearance even more, the soft summer kimono of Moths and Moons shimmered comfortably as she watched the proceedings. Koi would wait, patiently, as she did not want to cause offense to anyone by presenting herself before those from Great Clans and of course the Crane were hot on the stand to give their gifts away.

Just a game to them, gifted happiness and luck when they are blessed just for existing. Gifts curated for them, chosen specifically to impress and lord over their wealth. Koi was in a bad mood this morning it would seem, the events from the previous day filled her mind like some sort of freight train unleashed to kill anything that stands within it's path. So, the Koi stood, watched and acted as calm as she could awaiting her turn awaiting to escape this damn place.

Koi would watch, comfortably from her position and listen in to the offerings but does appear approachable.

[OOC: PM or quote if approached, as I am dumb!]
Last edited by Kaikoga Koi on Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moth Clan ★ Glory 44 ★ Honour 49 ★ Status 28 ★ Courtship Points 23 ★ Scent of Lilacs, Citrus oils and Almond ★

Update: Day 13. Koi is wearing a kimono in much higher quality, lilac in hues with green lunar moths and silver lanterns. She is wearing a jade green choker. She is wearing a katana that largely is peace tied, and at night has a very fine lantern. She is being followed at all times by a Shika Guard at a distances. She wears a fine wooden carved bracelet with the Moth Clan symbol on it.

Dangerous Allure ★ Wood working tools ★ Unsavoury Past ★ Shaking Hands ★ Anxiety Attacks ★ A Purple Choker with a wooden sphere of a Moth ★

Female ★ Actress ★ Vitiligo on the left eye ★ I'd never really found a place in the outside world, but had stayed away too long to fit in at home. ★ Wait so LongProfile

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:24 am

I feel like a moron in this fucking thing.

Gone were the simple utilitarian clothes Raizo had worn the day before.

No, now the Shiba was in a finely-made kimono in his clan colors, tastefully embroidered with subtle nods to fire and phoenix imagery.

And he looked a bit like a man going to his execution.

What the actual fuck, what the actual fuck?!

[OOC: PM or quote if approached, these threads get big and out of hand in a hurry!]
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:49 am

Kaikoga Koi wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:29 am

Just a game to them, gifted happiness and luck when they are blessed just for existing. Gifts curated for them, chosen specifically to impress and lord over their wealth. Koi was in a bad mood this morning it would seem, the events from the previous day filled her mind like some sort of freight train unleashed to kill anything that stands within it's path. So, the Koi stood, watched and acted as calm as she could awaiting her turn awaiting to escape this damn place.

Koi would watch, comfortably from her position and listen in to the offerings but does appear approachable.
Koi might have known it, but at the same time, Yoshi was having similar thoughts.

It's part of a game. Making an offering that you know will be refused, an empty gesture as the giver needs to wrangle them in, each side looking better for their hesitancy, all while trying to do it better than everyone else. Yoshi looks over the crowd. Oh kami, I love it. It's been too long.

The crowd has a surprising number of the Emperor's Chosen (as he liked to refer to the Minor Clans) in attendance, away from the usual pronounced colors that typically dominated court. The Otter had a surprisingly large contingent, and that would be a wrinkle. But there is something...off about one of the people in the group. Usually at Court there were a standard set of emotions: nervousness of those looking to present, a languid energy of experienced Courtiers, people looking at their gifts and wondering if it would be enough, or the right thing. This one girl...just looked disinterested with the whole thing. That was worth exploring.

Yoshi wanders over in line with Koi, going to pull out his kiseru for a smoke, but as he goes to pack it he remembers the place. The Deer might not appreciate a smoker in their Great Hall, but the pipe gave him the chance to put his fingers to use, spinning and twisting it deftly.

"So, are we all here courting the Deer Champion? I don't like my odds if that's the case." He offers a crooked smile, hoping that the self-effacement would land.
Tortoise Clan | Honor: 25 | Glory: 27| Status: 25 | Male | Diplomat | Groomed | Generous | Strife with Mantis
Equipment (standard): Traveling clothes, wakizashi, calligraphy set, knife, kiseru, abacus or gaijin compass, travelling pack, pouch of gaijin coins
(Battle): Tetsubo

"It's an absolute pleasure to see you again. Here, please take this gift. I insist"
Theme Song: Smooth Criminal (Shamisen Style!)

Kaikoga Koi

Post by Kaikoga Koi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:06 pm

Kasuga Yoshi wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:49 am
Yoshi wanders over in line with Koi, going to pull out his kiseru for a smoke, but as he goes to pack it he remembers the place. The Deer might not appreciate a smoker in their Great Hall, but the pipe gave him the chance to put his fingers to use, spinning and twisting it deftly.

"So, are we all here courting the Deer Champion? I don't like my odds if that's the case." He offers a crooked smile, hoping that the self-effacement would land.
Koi watching the whole charade of presenting gifts as well spotted by the Tortoise with disinterest and simply existed within her own bubble of thought before the daft hands of the Kasuga snapped the thin membrane of her idle thoughts.

Oh who fuc- wait a Tortoise? At a Miai?! SUCH FUN. She thought and immediately she flicked open her fan with perhaps a signal of mild curiousity for those skilled at understanding fans.

"I do not know, Kasuga-sama." She turned her eyes to glance at the man before her. "He might find the exoticness of your clan in the presences of all the Clans and Otter congregation quite stimulating."

"Did you perhaps bring Apples? I hear Deer are quite fond of fruit." She smiled.

She bowed her head, respectfully. "This one is Kaikoga Koi -" She indicated herself, with a small gesture with her hand before a twinkle in her eye before. "-I do not believe I have had the honour to meet with you before."
Moth Clan ★ Glory 44 ★ Honour 49 ★ Status 28 ★ Courtship Points 23 ★ Scent of Lilacs, Citrus oils and Almond ★

Update: Day 13. Koi is wearing a kimono in much higher quality, lilac in hues with green lunar moths and silver lanterns. She is wearing a jade green choker. She is wearing a katana that largely is peace tied, and at night has a very fine lantern. She is being followed at all times by a Shika Guard at a distances. She wears a fine wooden carved bracelet with the Moth Clan symbol on it.

Dangerous Allure ★ Wood working tools ★ Unsavoury Past ★ Shaking Hands ★ Anxiety Attacks ★ A Purple Choker with a wooden sphere of a Moth ★

Female ★ Actress ★ Vitiligo on the left eye ★ I'd never really found a place in the outside world, but had stayed away too long to fit in at home. ★ Wait so LongProfile

Kasuga Yoshi

Post by Kasuga Yoshi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:12 pm

Kaikoga Koi wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:06 pm

Koi watching the whole charade of presenting gifts as well spotted by the Tortoise with disinterest and simply existed within her own bubble of thought before the daft hands of the Kasuga snapped the thin membrane of her idle thoughts.

Oh who fuc- wait a Tortoise? At a Miai?! SUCH FUN. She thought and immediately she flicked open her fan obi with perhaps a signal of mild curiousity for those skilled at reasoning fans.

"I do not know, Kasuga-sama." She turned her eyes to glance at the man before her. "He might find the exoticness of your clan in the presences of all the Clans and Otter congregation quite stimulating."

"Did you perhaps bring Apples? I hear Deer are quite fond of fruit." She smiled.

She bowed her head, respectfully. "This one is Kaikoga Koi -" She indicated herself, with a small gesture with her hand before a twinkle in her eye before. "-I do not believe I have had the honour to meet with you before."
"Well, it's a good thing that I did not bring those as my gift" Yoshi continued idly. "Because the expectation would be that my presentation would be "Houze you like 'dem apples, eh?"" A the words in question, Yoshi lapses into a stereotypical accent of the uncultured.

He lets out a theatrical sigh. "I suppose that as consolation for my lack of chance at wooing the Deer Champion is the company of a lovely lady such as yourself. Now, I have double proven my crassness by not introducing myself. I am called Kasuga Yoshi. Well met Kaikoga-dono." It was a overly formal and honored address, but the Kasuga does not seem to care one wit at the moment.
Tortoise Clan | Honor: 25 | Glory: 27| Status: 25 | Male | Diplomat | Groomed | Generous | Strife with Mantis
Equipment (standard): Traveling clothes, wakizashi, calligraphy set, knife, kiseru, abacus or gaijin compass, travelling pack, pouch of gaijin coins
(Battle): Tetsubo

"It's an absolute pleasure to see you again. Here, please take this gift. I insist"
Theme Song: Smooth Criminal (Shamisen Style!)

Asahina Soyokaze

Post by Asahina Soyokaze » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:29 pm

The hard part is over Soyokaze assured himself as he backed away from the Shika Daimyo, having presented his gift. Almost immediately the color started to return to his face as he paced back to a spot along a wall near his attendant. He let's put a breath he hasn't realized he was holding and relaxes just a fraction before trying his hardest to blend into the background scenery.

(OOC: Afk for several hours but wanted to post before this hits page 10. PM if you approach, I will get back to you)
Crane Clan | Artisan | Courtier | Weaponsmith | Meek | Paragon of Compassion
Honor: 67 | Glory: 41 | Status: 38
Courtship points: 12
Description
Carries: Clothing, Wakazashi, Fan, Whitwe Gloves. D10+:Netsuke of Ebisu D13+:Delicately carved wooden bracelet with a small Crane token.
Often followed by an attendant.

Kaikoga Koi

Post by Kaikoga Koi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:37 pm

Kasuga Yoshi wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:12 pm
"Well, it's a good thing that I did not bring those as my gift" Yoshi continued idly. "Because the expectation would be that my presentation would be "Houze you like 'dem apples, eh?"" A the words in question, Yoshi lapses into a stereotypical accent of the uncultured.

He lets out a theatrical sigh. "I suppose that as consolation for my lack of chance at wooing the Deer Champion is the company of a lovely lady such as yourself. Now, I have double proven my crassness by not introducing myself. I am called Kasuga Yoshi. Well met Kaikoga-dono." It was a overly formal and honored address, but the Kasuga does not seem to care one wit at the moment.
Koi had to stifle an unlady-like snort of laughter it bubbled up in her stomach. She rewarded the Kasuga from behind her mask, perhaps a smile that could stun crowds of men and women alike - a dead weapon surely.

Koi liked the self-seeking Kasuga perhaps the moment she met him, to be fair Kasuga's are about exotic as the Unicorn in her small town on the mountains.

"The Champion shall be disappointed, nay? I can quickly fetch you some if you wish? Hm?" She teased, returning the playfulness in her voice acting like she was about to set off to leave before halting. "Ara ara, Kasuga-san you flatter me like we've known each other for years. Perhaps I have slept too long and realised we were friends of equal status, hm? What do you think Kasuga-san?" She said happily.

Usogawa Narumi

Post by Usogawa Narumi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:07 pm

The simple Otter was dressed to the nines, in her aunt's favourite kimono: silks and fabrics of darker colours, the stitching depicting a rich forest, with her dark hair done up in a side-braid, several wisps kissing her forehead, her features painted expertly to draw attention, her eyes locked on the grouping of experienced samurai.
Watching them intently, as if making calculations. So very focused.
Her gaze, if one were looking, locked onto Pei Pei and did not move from their target. Her breath even shallowed, though Narumi hardly noticed.
It wasn't until several moments after Shika Renji dismissed the candidates attention that Narumi seemed to come out of her trance... and she made her way to the champion to present her gift.

[ pm/quote on approach ]
Otter clan • Subtle Observer, Cynic • romantic but shady • apprentice nakodo
Glory 40 | Honor 27 | Status 22 | Description | Courtship Points 22

Carries: A paper umbrella, expertly painted to portray a section of the River of Gold. Lucky cricket.
D10+: A netsuke of a tanuki appears hooked over her obi at her left hip.
Also D10+: sports a split lower lip.
D12+: bruising across the back of both hands