D3 EA - The Gallery (Open)

Outside the massive castle
Kitsu Moshumaru

D3 EA - The Gallery (Open)

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:44 pm

Six Paintings.

One Women.

Different flowers.

He was no artisan, but he was aware of the gazes fixed upon him. What did it all mean...?
Lion Clan - HGS: 51/41/35 - Kitsu Red Hair, Missing fingers
"Mark my words, your descendants will remember you."
Gift giving ritual: Feel free to skip due to timezones
Ideal Lewdness level: Ftb, raunchy/lewd is fine
PM if thread desired

Shika Nesshin

Re: D3 EA - The Gallery (Open)

Post by Shika Nesshin » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:54 pm

"An interesting array, is it not, Kitsu-san?"

Nesshin bows to approach. "I take it you are a patron of the painter's arts?"
Kaikoga nee Shika Nesshin
Male Deer Clan Gamekeeper / Security Personnel
Glory 42; Honor 36; Status 41
Profile here: http://kyudenshika.fallenash.com/viewto ... 80&start=4
Normally in traveling clothes with a blue-and-gold obi, carrying a wakizashi, a fancy damned fan, and an omamori; carries a tsunoyari outside, too; carries a tsunoyari and wears ashigaru armor on watch, too; has trinkets, etc. at most times

Starting D1, has a silver and purple ribbon tied to his obi, as well.
D9, has a broom in hand and bandages on his hands.
D10-12, has a small whisk broom also thrust through his obi.
D11+, has a second fan.

Playful, irrepressibly flirtatious, blessed by Benten, blessed in lineage. Often smells of cedar.

Courtship Points: 31

"You look lost. Let me show you the way to something nice."

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:36 am

Shika Nesshin wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:54 pm
"An interesting array, is it not, Kitsu-san?"

Nesshin bows to approach. "I take it you are a patron of the painter's arts?"
A bow for a bow.

"Truthfully no - I have no great training in the arts. That said, I do find the array interesting - is each flower a different path?"

It was clear as the river he had zero idea as to the true meanings behind the work.
PM if thread desired

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:42 am

Kitsu Moshumaru wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:36 am
A bow for a bow.

"Truthfully no - I have no great training in the arts. That said, I do find the array interesting - is each flower a different path?"

It was clear as the river he had zero idea as to the true meanings behind the work.
"That is one way to describe it," replies Nesshin, who is not trained, as such, but whose mind runs in...interesting channels--deep ones, often lined with brush. "Though I am not, myself, a painter, so there is only so much I might say that I'm not obliged to take from others."

He shrugs. "But there are many willing teachers of many arts here."
Normally in traveling clothes with a blue-and-gold obi, carrying a wakizashi, a fancy damned fan, and an omamori; carries a tsunoyari outside, too; carries a tsunoyari and wears ashigaru armor on watch, too; has trinkets, etc. at most times

D11+, has a second fan.

Playful, irrepressibly flirtatious, blessed by Benten, blessed in lineage. Often smells of cedar.

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:55 am

A nod.

"You speak true enough, Shika-san. Though, if your ears are free for a moment, may I hazard a guess to their meaning?"

He was aware he was being observed. He was not aware he had no idea, but ignorance rarely stops the Lion's proud pace.
PM if thread desired

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:00 am

"They are," Nesshin replies. "Say on!"

Nesshin does know some of what's going on; he was present for at least some of the early briefings, before news reached him that he'd be part of the miai. But he also knows there'll've been at least one more since, and that one, he didn't attend.

D11+, has a second fan.

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:34 pm

"Indeed," he said with misplaced confidence.
"I don't think one could have written a better warning against the Scorpion myself. That is one thing which ties all of the paintings together - the Scorpions on her kimono. An obvious note as to whom to avoid if I ever saw one. Let us begin, shall we?"

He walked to the first painting.
In the first picture she holds a white carnation. She looks at the flower with a somewhat wide-eyed innocence.
"This the Scorpion, in the face of a death, proclaiming their innocence. White is the colour of death - that shade particular I have seen many robed in before cremation - and yet she adopts the guise of innocence. Notice not the carnation but what it represents - this woman knows her flowers, and thus likely, many deadly poisons. Her flower here is an open threat."

He moved to the next.
In the second painting, she holds a red carnation in a tighter grip, the crushed and stomped remains of a white carnation on the ground behind her. She looks at the red carnation with a deep flush to her cheeks.
"See how, once her ruses are examined, the Scorpion abandons any pretense of innocence - or guilt. It is obvious from the start she was playing games - in particular, the points on this white carnation point to the famous opening moves from the 1113 Rokugani Go championship quarter-finals between one Ide Hideaki and Shosuro Yagami. Besides that, the red carnation is the Carnation of blood - not just in the flower, but on her cheeks. The grip is strangling, the blush a facade."
In the third painting, she holds a striped carnation in grip that whitens her knuckles and an expression of obvious shock. The crushed and stomped remains of a red carnation can be seen on the ground behind her.
"Does it surprise the Scorpion when honour and righteousness overcomes cruelty and deception? Yes, every time. And this artist knows it. The shock is obvious - the striped nature of the carnation shows the intricate plans of the Scorpion have fallen apart. Not only that, but in engaging in their games we have stained themselves - Scorpion or no, they are also loyal servants of the Emperor. To fight amongst ourselves in such a way is unbecoming - there are more righteous conflicts within Rokugan. Notice the white Carnation is gone - they have already forgotten why they are suspect."

Three down, three to go.
In the fourth painting, she holds a yellow carnation with a look of extreme sorrow upon her face. Several petals have fallen from the flower and are in the process of fluttering down, while the fingers of her free hand are stained yellow. The crushed and stomped remains of a striped carnation can be seen withered behind her.
"The well has been poisoned, the Scorpion has decided to act. And in this one's case, in her folly, she sees herself as innocent despite the death behind her. As the petals fall, the further reaching of this conflict are lost to all of us until it is too late - the loss of a courtier here leads to a duel there which leaves an aspiring young samurai motherless and grieving, to give an example. Honour is stained, Ancestry is stained, Rokugan is stained."

A pause. He looks over to the six painting before "realizing" something.

"The more I think, the more I realize one of my underlying principles are wrong - this is not the Scorpion specifically, but it can be any of us when they act in selfishness. The Scorpions were a ruse to make us naturally shed our own blame - very clever artist-san, very clever."
In the fifth painting, she holds a pink carnation in a deathgrip, the beds of her nails gone white with the pressure and the stem oozing a bit of green sap. Her expression is what one might call wistful. The crushed and stomped remains of a yellow carnation can be seen behind her.
"And so, laid out before her, the folly of her actions - our actions, one could say - she has made her bed of stained actions. Instead of doing the honourable thing and lying in it, she instead turns inward, viewing herself still as beautiful, if flawed. Between her death grip and the colours of the flower - red and white - perhaps the implication is that she commits... That certainly cleanses the individual's honour in most cases, but it leaves the living to clean up the consequences of their actions."

And so, the final painting.
In the sixth painting, while there is a crushed and stomped pink carnation behind her, there is no flower in her hand. Instead, her gaze seems fixed on the viewer with a thoughtful look as she extends a hand out to them.
"And this is why I think the set is referring to us. It is a reminder - this can be us. No, stronger - it is us, in our moments of selfishness and sin. She is a reflection of our failure, just as any other villain in poetry or in the plays - they are not enemies to defeat, but internal failings to overcome."

"Overall, the purpose I would propose is a somber one - a reminder that though a miai may seem to be fun and games, we must always be aware of our own failure and be on guard of our own sins. If I could, I would commission a final piece with all of the carnations being tended to, but I'm no artist. So,"

He turned to the Shika expectantly,

"What do you think?"
PM if thread desired

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:58 pm

"I think the art supports your idea," Nesshin says. "Although I tend to regard it as another vision of reconciliation to, er, intimate involvement."

D11+, has a second fan.

Kitsu Moshumaru

Post by Kitsu Moshumaru » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:08 pm

"Interesting - may I hear your thoughts in more detail?"

The Kitsu inquired.
PM if thread desired

Shika Nesshin

Post by Shika Nesshin » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:17 pm

"Of course," Nesshin says now that his player can answer.
In the first picture she holds a white carnation. She looks at the flower with a somewhat wide-eyed innocence.
"While it is the case that white reflects death, it also connotes inexperience, as the obi on a beginner's dogi tells. The subject's white flower and expression match in that sense, therefore, and befit an introduction to the fleshly things the flower suggests"
In the second painting, she holds a red carnation in a tighter grip, the crushed and stomped remains of a white carnation on the ground behind her. She looks at the red carnation with a deep flush to her cheeks.
"Here, the red flower of an early infatuation acted upon--or nearly so, hence the blushing, which both precedes and follows amorous acts--and those similar thereto for those new to them"
In the third painting, she holds a striped carnation in grip that whitens her knuckles and an expression of obvious shock. The crushed and stomped remains of a red carnation can be seen on the ground behind her.
"In this, the subject of the subject's attentions has proven...other than expected, taking the first blush off of love--or thwarting something else. Perhaps the beloved is not as enamored as the subject?"
In the fourth painting, she holds a yellow carnation with a look of extreme sorrow upon her face. Several petals have fallen from the flower and are in the process of fluttering down, while the fingers of her free hand are stained yellow. The crushed and stomped remains of a striped carnation can be seen withered behind her.
"Here, consequences. They are clearly not all to the subject's liking' as might be expected; how many ask in anger for something they ate given in sorrow?"
In the fifth painting, she holds a pink carnation in a deathgrip, the beds of her nails gone white with the pressure and the stem oozing a bit of green sap. Her expression is what one might call wistful. The crushed and stomped remains of a yellow carnation can be seen behind her.
"Resignation, here, a payment with untriumph for untragedy and a longing amid placidity for the passion that wounded but was so very much."
In the sixth painting, while there is a crushed and stomped pink carnation behind her, there is no flower in her hand. Instead, her gaze seems fixed on the viewer with a thoughtful look as she extends a hand out to them.
"And it is clear that a lack of sadness is not itself enough; we must ever strive to a better thing, even knowing that it will be less than we think and that it might well wound us to have it."

D11+, has a second fan.