[Day 0, Late Morning] Professional Interest (Open)

Outside the massive castle
Shiba Raizo

[Day 0, Late Morning] Professional Interest (Open)

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:02 am

Having stashed his gear at the Inn, Raizo ambled over to look the castle over, idly munching on a rice ball from his provisions as he did so.

Well. It's a castle all right.

He'd never been involved in a siege or an assault on anything so formal, but he found it an interesting exercise to ponder how he'd deploy his units if he had to take the place- and conversely, where he'd put them to maximize the benefits of the defensive structure.

So he strolled around, taking the measure of the place, and also noting what the architecture told him about how the Deer probably planned to fight if it ever became necessary.

I mean, presumably, SOMEBODY must have heard enough about them to have a reason to attack, otherwise why such a big castle?
Phoenix Clan * Bushi * Soldier* Blunt * Cynical * Seasoned * Strong
Your Wingman Anytime, Whether You Want It Or Not
Glory: 42 * Honor 41 * Status: 30
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Kitsuki Kiyonobu

Re: [Day 0, Late Morning] Professional Interest (Open)

Post by Kitsuki Kiyonobu » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:38 pm

A Dragon samurai stood outside the castle wall as well. He looked to be in his 20s, his dark green kimono was decorated with a triangular geometric pattern, and he carried a straight sword with a bright green tassel dangling from its pommel. The Dragon observed Raizo studying the walls with interest, but he did not approach.
Dragon Clan ◆ Bushi ◆ Courtier ◆ Yoriki
Average Great Clan samurai ◆ Reputable ◆ Honor is the ideal
carries: jian, wakizashi, calligraphy set
he stares too much ◆ a green tassel with decorative knots hangs from his sword pommel

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:50 pm

Huh. Someone else... eh, maybe he's planning a sketch or some such.

Raizo gave a bow which would have astonished his sensei by its politneness.

"Dragon-san. Morning. This one is Shiba Raizo. Don't let me disturb you."
Carries his katana in an old, drab, battered saya. As of Day 13, wears a delicately carved bracelet of wooden beads polished smooth, laced through with red, yellow, and orange string and a small Phoenix token.
Standard gear: Ceremonial Clothes and a daisho. When in his element, ashigaru armor, a naginata, and a more relaxed form of terror are added into the mix.
Remember to Breathe

Kitsuki Kiyonobu

Post by Kitsuki Kiyonobu » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:52 pm

The Dragon bowed. "It is no trouble, Shiba-san," he replied. "I was just admiring the architecture. Quite ornate for the stronghold of a minor clan, don't you think?"

"I am called Kitsuki Kiyonobu," he added.
he stares too much ◆ a green tassel with decorative knots hangs from his sword pommel

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:29 pm

"Certainly... fancy. Also, though, built to maximize the value of a small number of defenders."

He cocked his head at the castle.

"But I wonder how they paid for it. Castles take a lot of material and labor, and getting them to the middle of a forest would... sort of obviate the advantages the forest itself offers."
Remember to Breathe

Kitsuki Kiyonobu

Post by Kitsuki Kiyonobu » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:19 pm

"I expect the castle must've been the labor of generations," Kiyonobu commented. "It would've had humbler origins - perhaps that tower was the first to be built." The Dragon pointed at a far tower on the left side of the castle, that had drawn his eye by having stones that seemed more weathered than its neighbors.

"Then each successive Deer lord would've added a little more," the Dragon mused. "I have not heard of many enemies of the Deer clan, that would require such a strong fortification? Though, it may be that having strong defenses itself deters attackers."

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:54 am

"I'd never heard of them before seeing the name on my marching orders. Kind of hard to imagine them having enemies who could both require a castle on this scale- and who lacked the resources to simply starve them out through a siege."
Remember to Breathe

Kitsuki Kiyonobu

Post by Kitsuki Kiyonobu » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:13 pm

"It's best to mend the roof when it is not raining," the Dragon commented. "Perhaps the Deer Clan's ancestors deemed it prudent to build their castle before an enemy appeared."

Shiba Raizo

Post by Shiba Raizo » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:46 pm

Or maybe they were showing off.

"Could be. Or maybe they had some hellacious war with the Lion early in their history. I'll admit to knowing almost nothing about them. Perhaps all the fortification was vital in earlier times."
Remember to Breathe

Kitsuki Kiyonobu

Post by Kitsuki Kiyonobu » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:36 pm

"I haven't heard of such a war, but if there were one, I don't imagine that a minor clan would've fared well against the Lion," Kiyonobu commented. "That they are still here likely argues against such a war having occurred. But I have read that the Aokami Forest is haunted by spirits. I'm sure the walls help to keep those out, too."